What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is my vft "dente" waking from dormancy?

Hello guys! I was just wondering if my VFT "Dente" Was braking dormancy, or if it is still dormant. It is develloping new leaves, but I do not know if it is normal durring dormancy. Is it?

The truth is that it has been motnhs since it produced its last leaves (November) So what do you think?

Here is a picture:
VFTDENTE.jpg

Thank you for your help!

Tis the season for waking from dormancy... I would say that if you are seeing new growth that your plant is breaking dormancy and getting ready for another summer of bug chomping.
biggrin.gif

Cheers
Steve

VFT guy is right. When they are ready to grow, let them grow.

My leaves grow year round, but they speed up when they are coming outa dormancy. The fact that you are getting leaves after months of not getting any means that it is definately coming out.

Yeah, almost all my VFTs seem to be waking from dormancy. The leaves are definately longer.

Have you guys brought them inside? Mine won't wake up until mid March.

Woohoo!
biggrin.gif
It's an omen
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ Feb. 14 2005,2:47)]Have you guys brought them inside? Mine won't wake up until mid March.
No. I grow all of my flytraps outdoors year round. Its been a very mild winter here in Northern Cali and recently it has been clear and unseasonally warm. I dont believe that is the reason my plants are breaking dormancy though. Typically my D. filiformis begins to break dormancy right at the start of February and the flytraps are always within a couple weeks of that. The Sarrs like to sleep in and stay up late... They wont wake up till sometime in March and then they will pitcher way into November, long after the other temperate plants have gone to sleep.

Steve

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ Feb. 14 2005,5:47)]Have you guys brought them inside? Mine won't wake up until mid March.
I did not bring them inside! All of them stood outdoors in a shade place without sun-light. And since it has been a very strange winter in PR, they went dormant naturally and are waking up now. Temperatures in 50's & 60's are still present but the sun is comming back to the green-house waking up most of my norhtern plants.

I am very excited since last year was the first time I cultivate VFT.

I'm waiting until my Birthday to move my plants back outside to wake up. Which is in March by the way. It gets warm here and then it gets freezing again. It's a real pain. I'm in PA.

I grew my plants outside last year, and this year I brought my plants in as soon as the night time temperatures get close to freezing, and I put them on my south facing window.  I didn't cut off any leaves, nor putting them in the fridge.  I live in North Jersey and I keep my house rather chilly, so they seem to fall into dormancy (small rosettes, slow to no growth) and come back out naturally.  I inspected them today and I can see the beginnings of some flower scapes poking up.  More seeds this year!

Back