What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help asap! mold :(

ok so i checked on my vfts today in the fridge cause i was going to repot them, and i had been checking on them during the winter, but my bag that had my typicals (all my huge vfts) has started molding and i need to know as soon as possible what kind of fungicides that are safe to use on vfts i can get easily... kmart, walmart, lowes, home depot, etc. and of course i need to know stuff you can buy currently in america... help is ever so greatly appreciated, i would really liek to start tackinling this problem tonight so thanks in advance guys.. rescue me!

If it is just white fluffy mold that is on the dead parts of the vft then you should be fine with just removing the bad sections. But if you want to be sure that that mold isn't harmful just any good fungicide will do at walmart and such. Though, it can cost alot though for a bottle, petflytrap has some cleary fungicide which is suposed to be really good for a few dollars.

I just got some 3336 Cleary from petflytrap.com. This stuff is commercial grade and they send enough to make 1 gallon. Safe for CP's and cheap too.

does it have a lifespan once its been mixed up? or does it last for a long time

I've gotten good results with a Neem Oil spray. You should be able to find it at lowe's/home depot's garden section.

Perhaps you could avoid chemically treating the fungus by taking them out of the fridge all-together...it's about dormancy-stopping time. The light and warm temps should kill off the mold. Worked for me at least...of course I did treat them with a dilute captan solution while they were in the fridge whenever I noticed annoying amounts of that white fuzzy mold.

I've used Physan 20 on VFTs before, with no ill effect to them.

don't be alarmed! Justy pluckof the head with the mold. It happened to me and now a new head is coming out of the middle of my olan t is growing like crazy.

...Say what?

dont do anything..the mold is probably harmless..
does it look like this?

CP-2005-04.jpg

if so, its fine..do nothing.
applying a toxic fungicide will likely do more damage than doing nothing..
if you want, just manually remove the mold, but I never even bother to do that. just dump some water over it, put the pot in a bright window, and it will go away in a few days..
Scot

Some people also apply cinnamon to mold, but as was indicated earlier, plucking, air circulation, and light are your best allies.

hmm ok, ill just do that, too bad i allready ordered some cleary :p

Good photo scotty, if you use a fridge for dormance you will see this mold pretty regularly. It typically dosn't do any damage as others have stated. I find that a top dressing of good LFS will prevent the mold as well.

Steve

Back