What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown vft

hey guys I've had this one VFT for a while now, I originally thought it was D. Bart Simpson, then I thought it was D. Jaws which I had it labeled as now, now it has these extremely wierd traps now that its outa dormancy, take a look:
580entry_012.jpg

another trap:
580entry_013.jpg

It is kool! It seems to be a fused tooth, saw tooth and white flytraps together. Good luck with it. Maybe it is a new cultivar. Congradulations

I would suggest not changing labels on plants just because it resembles a particular clone. Where did you get it? What was it labelled as originally? Does every single trap look like that? How do they look when they are opened and mature?

Tony

I got it as a regular VFT from a nursery, little pot of horrors, every single trap is like this and when they open they all have at least 3 sets of teeth fused together like that

Mutations are not that uncommon when your dealing with thousands of VFT produced for Nurserymans exchange, gublers etc.

It will be interesting to see how it looks this Summer with a nice set of open traps.

It does not match Fused Tooth or Sawtooth as I compare to the published descriptions. From the photo though it's hard to see what the teeth on one side look like because you can't discern which are on the lobe that is facing away vs the one facing us. Probably roughly fits the description for Dentate.
"Both (this and [Dionaea ' Dente ' {D'Amato}]) are tissue-cultured mutations. The teeth are numerous, short and jagged, like a beartrap."

Tony

youre right it should be interesting, you want more photos, do you think it might help ID it

theres another, looks just like mine only with longer teeth the photos arent very explanitory, maybe I'll take some more later
VFT_Fused.JPG

The description for Fused Tooth
"A tissue-cultured mutation. The teeth are few anf dused together by "webbing.""

type in the ICPS description should read - and fused together by webbing

The first Fused Tooth picture is of a plant that is way too young to determine anything.  The second doesn't at all look like your plant, nor does it currently show alot of the fused tooth feature.

This Summer when you have some fully open traps take some more pictures of them so we can see what the teeth look like on each side.

Tony

Edit: Looking at a number of other photos on BobZ's website the two you have chosen are not representative of the majority for showing the traits of a Fused Tooth.  When comparing a plant it is very important to compare to the majority.  Not to pick one or two that fit what you think you have and confirm it.

I will take pics in the summer, no I wasnt trying to pick out a few to make it seem that way I just did a google image search for dionaea fused tooth, and his came up

hmm this is interesting, I looked over BobZs site, and saw the "jaws" form the traps seem to resemble this a bit, and the teeth are sometimes hooked together like on mine, what do you think?

Your plant can never be a jaws, or any other cultivar just because it looks like it.  I know, it's very tempting to discover a new vft but most of time it's related to stress and goes away with time.  Labeling a plant this and that based on it's looks really screws up the cultivar and makes it more confusing for people like me who try to get the pure form.  Like for example, there are probably several 'false' clones of the red dragon and it's very hard to get the right one.  Most false clones are weaklings and are nothing compared to the true form.
I  have not grown D. Jaws for very long but based on pictures it looks the same as a dente.  Why did you assume it was a Jaws instead of a Dente?
There are exceptions from this rule, but overall my point is try not to label plants because they resemble some other one.

The reason the teeth of your vft is fused is most likely because it just woke up from dormacy or is under alittle stress. All my vft's do this from one time to another, including the dente's. But again, you might have a lucky plant on your hand, only time will tell.

alright I guess a mod can delete this thread, I wont keep a label on it untill summer, when I can get a 100% ID

I agree wait till summer,this does appear to be simialar to the cultivar 'finetooth'.

Back