What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flytrap seed germinated!

i put the seeds on top of a 50/50 sand peat moss mix and push them in, some of the seeds where killed by mold but ive noticed a very tiny green leave that is someing out of the mix, is that a vft? and if so what should i do now? its only one so should i cheap it in the plastic bag i had it in or should i take it out? its only one (i think) and the rest have not germinated yet, nt sure if they will. plz tell me what to do, i want my vft to become big and strong!

First of all read
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq2510.html

They do not need to be in a plactic bag. That is probably why you have mold. Your seeds can continue to germinate for a year or so. Give them good air circulation and good light and in about 3 years you may have a flowering VFT.

if i dont have them in a plastic bag, how do i keep humidity levels up?

You worry too much. Place the seed and plantlet in a small 2 or 3 inch pot, fill the pot loosely with peat moss, put the tray in bright light, and keep the peat damp. Then leave it alone, and watch them grow. The water in the tray will keep your humidity up. Good growing!

Yeah, don't worry about humidity and just make sure they don't dry out. If their roots are moist, you don't have to worry about humidity, but poor air circulation can cause them to be overcome by mold/moss quite easily. I learned that the hard way.

What do you do?

Try to keep it alive for 5 years to maturity.

Back