What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No dormancy? and now it's flowering?

Despite a very cold winter, the conditions on my window-sill have not changed much (maybe slightly colder). All that happened to my VFT was it lost its red colour on the traps, and they stopped growing up, and just grew along the ground. It more than doubled its number of traps before winter, and then most of them went black and I removed them.

So then it got to the end of February and I found the first fly I've seen in a long time, so I caught it and fed my VFT. Now I wake up this morning and a long stem has shot up, and I am certain it is trying to flower, since it does not look like a trap (more like a bud) and it goes straight up in the middle.

My questions are, is this normal, or should I have put my VFT in the freezer or something. And should I cut the stem now (I don't want seeds, and I don't want to jeopardize my plant). I'm scared of cutting anything that isn't dead
smile_k_ani_32.gif

sounds like your plant went through a period of growing winter leaves and now that the days are getting longer, it's flowering. if you don't want seeds, cut the flower.

tech...

Dormancy is not a complete shutdown where all the leaves disappear. It sounds like your VFT has slowed down and is now producing a flower because spring is coming. It sounds fine to me. In cultivation, flytraps can sometimes suffer from flowering, so I would snip the flower off when it gets to 5 or so cm high.

my VFT's slowed down in the winter, now they are sending up new leaves and 2 of them are sending up flower stalks. I already cut 2 of the stalks, the 3rd one is still too short.
I don't need the seeds anyway, I use leaf cuttings to propogate my plants
smile_m_32.gif

Thanks, I'll wait until the stalk gets a bit higher, and then cut it.

Back