What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Live in western pa and want to but a vft

Hi, I was wondering if I buy a VFT if I should just put it on my window sill spring through fall and stick it in the fridge for the winter, or just leave it on my patio all year round? Being in western PA (pittsburgh) we obviously have all the seasonal changes here, but would it get a bit too cold out in the winter to leave my VFT out there? Thanks for any info you can give me. Want to get all the info I can before getting one.

I live in SE PA.
I grow my VFT's outside till the weather hits freezing. Then I move them into my unheated garage till the night temps stay above freezing in spring.

outside
outside
outside
outside

no question!
smile.gif

there are huge benefits to growing outside.
plenty of direct sunlight, which the plant needs.
plants catch their own bugs.
plants can "sense" the approcahing autumn and begin to shut down naturally through August/September/October..
so when the times comes for the fridge in late October or early November, the plant is already dormant naturally!
the only thing you have to do is give it a winter dormancy spot that isnt quite as harsh as outdoors..

I always always always say put your plants outdoors whenever you can.
it is SOOOOOO much better than indoors on so many levels.

Scot

I'm where Elgecko is and VFT's are good to go outside from March until November. For where you are, you'd have to shave a couple weeks off on either end. I put the plant in the fridge from Thanksgiving until Valentines Day and transistion it from a coolish window sill to outside.

Back