What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uh oh

Ok, I swear this is the last time I'll post about my picture, but I need some help. Shortly after the picture was taken, of the spider in the trap, The trap didnt constrict and it opened back up. Does anyone have any ideas why this could be happening?

You soend to much time worring about that trap
smile.gif
Its probibly fine and was happy enough

It looked like the bug was a little big for it to close around. It needs to really seal to digest bugs, so it may have opened because it couldn't fully close.

Capslock

I must say it is the opposite. The bug is to small and slanky to stimulate the trap's digestion process. Mosquitos sometimes get away because they are too small and don't move very much.

Edit: Did you remove all the legs? If you did, I'm not sure the spider can jiggle around to start the digestion process. Also, dead insects don't work.

One question. Was the spider dead when you put him in there and you stimulated the trap close yourself? If so, then that's may be one reason it didnt fully close if it didn't get any further movement in there to seal shut.

2nd question. Was he dead when you cut the legs off and the trap was still partially open? If that's the case, then the VFT needed further stimulation to close up further since the spider wasn't wiggling around in there. Otherwise, it'll just open back up.

I just got mine yesterday and he's eaten a couple of bugs already. The one trap closed kinda slow but still trapped the bug. The other closed lightning fast. They both closed completely seconds after the initial closing when the bugs kept squirming around in them. It was pretty sweet to watch. Yes, I need to get a life at this point. LoL

Anyway, Maybe you can try putting that spider back into another trap (depending on how long ago that was) and stimulate it to close. Then move it around in there some more with a toothpick or something extremely thin to get it to seal shut. If not, I wouldnt worry about it. It's not like they need to eat everyday. Mine just had it's meals that'll probably satisfy it for a few weeks.

Back