What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

White pots

Why aren't we supposed to use white pots? The directions for the VFT plants here at the top where all the people come to ask questions say never use them. Does any one know how come we can not use white ofr VFT plants please.

It says especially white, not except white.

I assume to reflect the sun so heat doesn't cause the medium to dry out faster.

yes, white pots are GOOD! not bad.
because white pots reflect the sun, and help reduce the chances of the soil/roots overheating.

Black pots would be the worst because they absorb heat, which could make the roots too warm.

I use white and green pots..never had any problems.

Scot

Everyone I know in Britain uses black pots. If you live where it's very warm, white pots would be better in theory.

I just use styrofoam cups since they are durable, cheap, and makes temp changes more gradual during the summer.

I use all different kinds of pots myself... dark green, white, light brown, even clear and blue drinking cups. Never seen any difference in plant growth using any of them. The only advice I can offer on what NOT to use as a pot is the plastic drinking cups. They get brittle after a few months and then are basicly useless.

Steve

Steve brought up a good point. As a side note, if you use saran wrap to cover tanks, change it every few months, as there is nothing more sickening to not check on things in a while and then find your cover has disintegrated!

Cheers,

Joe

I just realized every plant i have is in a dark green or black pot.
smile_h_32.gif

The only exception is N. rajah. I do think that white would be a good idea though.

OK and thank you. I will not get a new pot. The white is good for the plant.

Back