What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Veeeerrrrrry strange vft

I'm really sorry i couldn't get a pic of this, but i saw a VFT in a store a while ago. This VFT was flowering too. But that isn't the strange part. There was a PLANT GROWING OUT OF THE FLOWER STALK. Right below where the flower buds start. I really wish i could have gotten a pic of this. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Its common in Drosera cultivation. There is a term for it but it escapes me atm. If you want to dig for it, there is a post about it in the Drosera forum about 6-12 months back.

Cheers
Steve

It is not new, Tuna. I have seen that happen many times in these years of growing. May be due to stress during scaping from something generally weather related. Its is so cool to see, and to play with the plantlets!!

I believe the term is: vegetative apomixis. It is the process by which a plant can reproduce a plantlet along its floral stem or in the bract of its floral buds. Is is often found occuring in vfts.

Phil

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]False vivipary: some plants will produce mutated flowers. Instead of normal flowers, the plant makes little plantlets on the flower stalk! This is commonly (and erroneously) called vegetative apomixis. The plantlets can be rooted (with care) and make new plants!

Bob...you're amazing. lol You have a photo for every occasion.
smile.gif
How in the world do you remember all that you have??

Thanks for all your effort in getting/maintaining these links. Its really very helpful.

can you grow the plants from the flower stalk? i like the mutant flower on cooks site

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Mar. 16 2005,2:18)]How in the world do you remember all that you have??
It's easy. I only have a few over 31,700 links to keep track of.

Well, it seems TF's conversation cycle has yet again revolved back around to vegetative apomixis ^_^

Back