Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Humidity....

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]They were down to 3/4" for awhile, but went back up to 1".
    I haven't gotten 3/4'' in a long, long time. But they're getting close now that I moved the greenhouse from the patio, where the plants got little sun due to the oak trees' leaves coming in, to the sidewalk behind the North end of the house, where the plants now get full sun all day.
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jlui83,

Well, it's kinda an issue; just as not as big of one as you might think, keep a little humidity going on; no magic number, but say between 30 to 60 percent, perhaps? The range is wide, that's what people have to learn. Usually, the VFT pot sitting in a tray with some water in the tray will keep it in that range. Since they like to be kept damp all the time anyway, the tray method or the aquarium, etc. will let you water less.

The only reason to have an aquarium, in my view, is to keep little hands off of them. Don't do it because you think it needs the humidity. You can have a pretty little Bog garden in an open container.

Yes, Sundews tend to make dew better in an aquarium; but I lend that to the lack of moving air more than the increased humidity factor. I have my Spatulata's in an open tray in a draft free room; and they are nice and sticky!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK gotcha. Everything seems to be running smoothly here. I should be taking and posting pictures by next week. Just been stumped with a lot of stuff lately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jlui83,

Remember, unless you are growing your VFT outdoors and in the Summer, don't keep the medium they are growing in soggy all the time; let them get to cool damp before replentishing the evaporated water in the tray. This helps keep the crowns from rotting and aerates the medium.

I think this is very important.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see.. I'll keep that in mind. Actually I dont have a water tray b/c the plants are inside an aquarium tank.... So I just water them every couple of days. Today I just watered them a lot, so I am trying to see how long it will take for the soil to become dry(not to dry) so I can water again.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345