What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Humidity....

I have been doing my research on this and im still a little stumped. Some people say that for VFTs humidity isn't a big factor.. They just need LOTS of light and moist soil all the time. If this is the case with humidity do I need to keep my terrarium covered with a glass top? or can I just open it? I only have 2 VFT typical inside a 2 1/2 gal tank.

Experiment. Try the top, lid cracked open for air circulation and see what happens. Then, remove the top altogether and see what happens. Find the plants limits, and work from there.

Virginia is plenty humid enough! I live in Southern California and humidity is not a problem. VFT guy in San Jose can give you the specifics.

(VFT guy in SJ)

Its fine you live right next to the historical range anyway

I tried that experiment two years ago. I had my VFT in an old (and washed well) plastic pretzel container. It was on a SE facing window sill and did very well, with the traps grwoing from 1/2 -> 1" from June through August. Then, I was going to be away for a week and I left the lid on. Big mistake! The traps that emerged were only 3/4" and some blackened before they opened. It took a few weeks for the plant to forgive me. Definitely, leave the cover off. Also, get it outside for maximum, unfiltered solar energy!

YOU GOT 3/4''?!?

alright, so no lid for VFTs.... is this right?

VFT's do just fine in very low humidity. Keep it in full sunlight, no cover, (preferably outdoors) and it will be very happy.

Good luck
Steve

Right now it is in a 2 1/2 gal tank. I have a piece of glass to cover the top but does not cover it fully. For lighting I use a bulb called fluorex and sometimes put it near a window for natural sunlight.

Hey Jilui, I would take the top off of the tank completely. You don't really need them in a tank at all....but it won't hurt them, either. Just don't leave the top on in the blazing sun or you'll cook them.

I grow my VFT's in pots on the porch here in NY. They're really only picky about good light water and soil. Humidity is not an issue for the most part.

Alright, Thanks guys for the humidity issue. Ill just make sure they get enough sunlight and water. thanks again for all the input!
smile.gif
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FlytrapGurl @ Mar. 18 2005,7:34)]YOU GOT 3/4''?!?
They were down to 3/4" for awhile, but went back up to 1".

Is it normal for some traps turn black and die? What would the cause of some traps to do this? The reason why im asking is b/c 2 of my traps turned black. so I just cut them off.

It IS normal, if it is an old trap and its number was up. Other reasons would be that if it ate something too large or something it didn't agree with. As stated earlier, mine died prematurely because it was covered. Between the lack of air circulation and probable "greenhouse effect" - it was suffering.

OK. I guess since these VFTs are my first ones I am babying them way to much. But thats ok. hehe..Ill just make sure BRIGHT Lights (or sunlight) and good water. Thanks Jimscott for all your help. hehe seems like you've been answering all my questions.

As long as you have new traps growing from the center you're usually good.

Speaking of which. I will try to take a picture of the ones I have right now... One of them have only 4 traps (1 just turned black, so I cut it off) so down to 3 traps..(is this a low amount?) but in the center of it something is growing out of it.. could it be the flower stalk? Like I said I will take a picture of it.. and on the other plant there are about 8-9 traps.

Back