Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Earthworms healthy for my vft?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been thinkin about throwing a couple of earthworms inside my VFT pot and I was wondering if it would harm or actually help the VFT? Thanks in advance for answering my question. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Earthworms dont make good food for VFT's.. they tend to rot the traps.

Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Earthworms strike me as being too large to fit in a trap. If it tried to eat one you'd have the ends hanging out of teh leaf which would result in rotting.

Now, if you have a hungry Sarracenia, or a large enough sundew, I'd say go for it [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    The Best Part About Being a Sociopath is Never Having to Say You're Sorry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems he means put them in the soil of the VFT. In this case its definetly a no-no. VFT's catch things to eat because the "soil" they grow in is low in nutrients. Earthworms would digest the peat or whatnot and produce worm castings-which are very good fertilizer for normal plants. VFT's, however, do not like this at all.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah thanks alot Nflytrap and the rest of u for that lil worm info lol I kinda knew that but thanks anyway! Hrm...worm castings sounds tasty for my other plan I have no clue what it is but it's growing pretty big it has lil red flowers and I mean little and it's quite tall and has huge thorns but aside from that it's not a carnivorous plant heheh anyway appreciate it...<~~forages backyard in dirt for earthworms!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually have a question to add to this. What if you cut the worm in half or at least small enough where it fits into the trap well? Worms obviously stay alive and wiggle around after you do this. Is it the worm itself that may rot the traps or just them sticking out of a trap if they're too big? If it's a size issue then you can do what I just mentioned, if you wouldn't mind doing it that is. Anyway, just curious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geez these threads just keep getting more and more morbid. You see.....the reason the worm stays alive and wiggles around after you cut it up into pieces is because the poor thing is WRITHING IN AGONY!!!!! Wouldn't you??

Anyways worms are probably too nutrient rich for vft to digest properly. Unless you are growing your plant in very bright, warm and humid conditions and your traps are very robust, you could risk rotting the trap. You'll know this is happening by the disgusting fluids leaking out of the trap's margins. And oh yes....BTW...rotted worm bits in a rotted vft trap probably smell really nasty. I would try searching for pill bugs or sow bugs or earwigs. You know...things along those lines. They're much more palatable to the plant.

Good luck and fun.

Phil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (philcula @ Mar. 19 2005,10:36)]Geez these threads just keep getting more and more morbid. You see.....the reason the worm stays alive and wiggles around after you cut it up into pieces is because the poor thing is WRITHING IN AGONY!!!!! Wouldn't you??

Anyways worms are probably too nutrient rich for vft to digest properly. Unless you are growing your plant in very bright, warm and humid conditions and your traps are very robust, you could risk rotting the trap. You'll know this is happening by the disgusting fluids leaking out of the trap's margins. And oh yes....BTW...rotted worm bits in a rotted vft trap probably smell really nasty. I would try searching for pill bugs or sow bugs or earwigs. You know...things along those lines. They're much more palatable to the plant.

Good luck and fun.

Phil
    Well, I never said I was going to feed my VFT a worm! I was just asking a simple question to learn more about VFT's. And I KNOW why the worm is wiggling around when you do that, I'm not stupid. I pointed that out because it wiggling around would spring the trap. Sorry if I offended any poor defenseless worms reading this forum. Never happen again! Geesh! LoL But, thanks for answering my question anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast