What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange vft expirement

hey guys, well my D. Vigorous tried flowering this year but I only had one and it wasnt looking very vigorous, so i didnt let it, I cut off the flower with about 1 cm of the stem, i put it in peat just to see what happens, well now there appears to be a root growing out of it, have any of you traied this? what came out of it?

I just did the same thing
If it works, I'll tell you. It's too early to tell if any roots are coming out of it.

wow! flowr stalks eh? does that really work? does it matter on fhow tall the stalk is?

i dont know I havent experimented too much, I wouldnt guess this happens very often however if you're cutting the flower stalks off anyway i guess you dont have anything to loose

I've heard of that method a couple of times. It seems like almost all parts of a vft can be rooted! Now if someone can get root cutting to work that would be cool but unlikely...

what is a "D. Vigorous"??
do you mean Drosera vigorous or Dionea vigorous?
neither exists! ;)
please be more carefull with plant names!
smile_m_32.gif

I assume you probably mean Dionaea muscipula 'vigorous'
"D. Vigorous" isnt the right way to say that..
(mainly because we cant tell that is actually what you mean)
sorry for being picky, but I think we should all be picky in that respect..

Scot

I've got about 8 flower stocks on 3 plants right now. They are about 2 to 3 inches tall. I'll try the same thing when I cut them off.

Actually, it doesn't have to be labled Dionaea 'vigorous' as far as I know.  It would be way too time consuming to type Dionaea each time as I  specialize in growing them and most names wouldn't fit on growing lables either if spelled out like that.  We kind of already know what you mean by posting it in the Doinaea forum anyways and there isn't any drosera named vigorous.  Rarely have I seen any Drosera and Dionaea having the same cultivar name.
Plus, who is to decide wether the Drosera or Dionaea gets the shorter name?
smile_n_32.gif

But if there is some rule regarding that issue then I might be wrong, but so far I've never heard of any.

Flytrapgurl tried this awhile back - but no success. Now where was that topic?

AFAIK, Dionaea "Vigorous" is an unregistered clone, named and marketed by Triffid Park in Australia. Some CP companies in the US also have this plant in their catalog.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter @ Mar. 23 2005,10:29)]Plus, who is to decide wether the Drosera or Dionaea gets the shorter name?
smile_n_32.gif

But if there is some rule regarding that issue then I might be wrong, but so far I've never heard of any.
Its for those people who have so many plants that they can't remember all their names, heh. J/K
smile_n_32.gif
No I suppose its just to encourage correct pronounciation of the names so that others (ie. people who are really involved in the busniess of ecology, conservation stuff and also newcomers) don't get confused. But for the rest of us we know what we're talking about.

BTW, so no one's tried root cuttings with a VFT? I doubt that would take though, the VFT would probably die if you cut off its tap roots.

I think what is really neat is when a baby VFT actually grows out of the stalk!

Yeah, I did try this same thing a while back, but it didn't work... not sure if I just needed to cut it farther down on the stem or what, but it didn't work. But hey, try anyway.. what the hell not.

No, what I'm talking about is a mutation; when a baby plant or two or three sprout out of the stalk while it is still on the plant.

I've never had it happen to me, but I have seen pics.

yea they just had a topic on that occurrance. It's called false something.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (veritas00000 @ April 06 2005,9:17)]yea they just had a topic on that occurrance.  It's called false something.
i think it's 'false vivipary', there's a few decent pics if you google it.

that must be pretty cool to see though ;)

Back