What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi i am new to venus flytraps

I tried planting me venus flytrap is a really expensive potting mix and using fertilizer but it died. I did this to a few more... Then i came here and read what you were suppose to do with the mix. But they are still dying! help

Hay, Hellz here
we need to know the exact conditions in order to help you
like:
Humidity
Amount of light it recieves and what type of light (sunlight, artificial, that kinda thing)
the media you are using (the ingredients, and if you can, the ratio of ingredients)
the amount of water they recieve,
and any thing else you are doing to grow your plant
this way, we can adress your problems and help you solve your VFT Dilemma
you will find these plants to be e z growing, and the people here at terraforums to be very helpful
I welcome you to the forums
hope this has been helpful,
Hellz

Jar,
if your plants were in the old, unsuitable mix for awhile, then you transplanted them into a proper mix, its possible the plants are still in declining health from being in the old mix.
if they were in the old mix a long time, they might not make it..
if so, just try again!
and this time you know what to do!
sorry..cant offer anything more than that.
just give them all the best conditions you can and hope they pull through.

and yes, let us know what your current growing conditions are and maybe we can help tweak them further..
Scot

Hey jarpower,
First off, welcome to the forums.
Second, I'm assuming the plants you have right now are in the proper mix. So, you want to give them PLENTY of light. If you are using artificial light move them to within at least a foot of the lights. If you are going for the real deal(the sun), you want to give them at least 4 hrs of direct sun(after that, bright indirect light is needed). If you live in a dry climate you should consider giving them the most sun in the morning and protecting them from direct sun during the afternoon hours, as low humidity combined with the power of the sun can burn the leaves of the plant.
When watering the plant make sure you aren't using tap or city water or water that has minerals and the such. Rain water, distilled, reverse osmosis(R/O), and deionized(sp?) water should only be used.

I hope this helps, I would also recommend reading the posted topic for newb VFT owners that is at the top of this section of the forums. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Keep it real,
~Wes~

Hi,
I have a questions about Darlingtonia, Venus Flytrap, sundew and I am want to by
more to extend my collection. I used to collect them a number of years ago
. I bought some a week ago, I have them in
a little plastic domes they came in.
The Venus flytrap is small but doing okay so far along with the sundew. The
Darlingtonia is not doing too well but I'd like to get more flytraps.
In the past they have not lasted too long. I want to get them into a terrarium along with the others
and now to put them near the middle of the slope. I used to live In North Carolina (Asheville) but never saw
them in the wild. In any case, what is the best way to keep them going in a terrarium. Is artificial light the best for them?
Seems like it but I also want to figure out how to get the humidity the right way.

I know it takes they need humidity but I am confused what to
about the lighting. Some people say east or west end not south, or south near window sill
in a terrarium not covered.
What is the best way to care for them this way.I would like to put them all in
a terrarium but I first want to get the lighting right before I put them in a terrairum.
I want them to get some sun and humidity. One place said to
take off the plastic dome and put them into the sun (south side). I am thinking of getting
some artificial light as well.
Any help appreciated. Please also reply to email below if you can . below
I am new to this list and it is great resource.
Dr. Eric Flescher ( dreric1kansas@aol.com),
Olathe, KS. USA
biggrin.gif

First off welcom to the forums Eric.
I am also a NCer(still live here though, Boone NC to be exact). Anyway, to answer your questions I would'nt really recommend the terrarium... I doubt that it would be needed. The fytrap and the darlingtonia do well open tray on a windowsill that gets the MOST light possible. the sundew would need to be slowly adapted though(I think, you may want to ask in the dew "department"). If you can not provide AT LEAST 4 hrs direct sun with bright indirect sun the rest of the day then artificial lights would be a good way to go. Keep your plants within at least a foot of a flourescent light fixture and you should be fine.
Watering is also important, you ONLY want to use the water mentioned in my previous post.
If you just absolutely want to do the terrarium(they are pretty fun to do). I would suggest doing it greenhouse style. Keep the plants in their individual pots and trays. I say that because the sundews from Lowes are not the kind that require dormancy whereas the VFT and Darlingtionia do require a winter dormancy. If you decide to do the terrarium with artificial lighting, humidity will solve itself. I hope this helped, and someone please add on to that or correct me if needed.

Keep 'em growin,
~Wes~

Back