What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Springtails...

Ok I've been seeing lots of springtails in my VFT pot(pure peat). I'm thinking it may be beccause I'm using pure peat. Would it be better to mix in some sand into the peat? Also, how does one prevent mites? Since summer is coming I have a feeling if I keep the plants outside they will attack sooner or later. I already killed a few aphids today.

Hay Hellz here,
y does every one but me always get these springtails to bless them?
they make suh good denizens of CP pots, eating detritus, and being nice snacks for dews, what a great bug!!!
as for your soil mix, yes, add some sand, and for the mites, im not sure about that, i heard theyre hard to get rid of
smile_h_32.gif

hope i was helpful,
Hellz

Ahhh, that's what they are! I've noticed quite a lot in the pots of my VFTs and sundews, I was worried sick they were aphids or some other bad bug (I haven't had experience with these before). Best news I've heard today
smile.gif

Not only are springtails good for the substrate, they're fun to watch bounce around!
biggrin.gif

The springtails are fine, but about the aphids... even if you kill the adult they have usually already laid their eggs. I'd suggest spraying them with a good insectacide. I use Orthene(also sold as orthonex(sp)) and Sevin. I think both are also usefull against mites. Orthene would be most reccommended because it is systemic and is absorbed by the plant so as to poison things for many months.

Stiffler, are you sure you have springtails? If they bounce like warlock said then yes, but if the are sorta slow and TINY and green then more than likely they are aphids.

Again, sand is not necessary. Not as necessary as good drainage. Sand will keep the soil loose, but peat that is not packed, and watered via the tray method, will work every bit as well as any sand in the pot. Springtails?? yawn and snore!! No thing! Aphids? EEK!!!! Orthene quick!! And as Wesley pointed out, sevin for mites as a topical spray. Now get growing!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wesley @ Mar. 31 2005,5:45)]The springtails are fine, but about the aphids... even if you kill the adult they have usually already laid their eggs.
Aphids actually give birth to live young.

and females are apparently born pregnant......if thats the case then it baffles me who the father is
confused.gif

Wesley, yes, I'm sure they are springtails and not aphids: they are whitish and move around in the soil--if I disturb the soil a little I can expose them and then they start 'springing' from the soil. I've thoroughly checked the plants, there are no signs of these critters on any green portions and I've noticed no deformities of any type over the past months I've seen these guys
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (StifflerMichael @ Mar. 30 2005,7:46)]Wesley, yes, I'm sure they are springtails and not aphids: they are whitish and move around in the soil--if I disturb the soil a little I can expose them and then they start 'springing' from the soil. I've thoroughly checked the plants, there are no signs of these critters on any green portions and I've noticed no deformities of any type over the past months I've seen these guys
smile.gif
Ok nvm then! LOL

Ha! I thought it was aphids that were born pregnant without eggs, but I definately was about to put that and be wrong! LOL

Back