What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New guy with a question

my sister bought me a VFT two days ago (it is very small) but there is some thing wrong with it the traps are curling backwards and the plant is flat to the soil

can someone help me?

How much sunlight is the plant getting? Where are you getting your water from?

for the two days ive had it ,it has had at least 4 hours of direct sunlight and the rest of theday indirect next to my window a day
and i am keeping the dish with enough water (distilled) dont worry im not soaking it

VFTs are rather difficult to overwater.  The only time I've seen a plant droop down is from underwatering.  Press the top of the soil down if it doesn't seem really moist like a wet sponge you may have it underwatered.  Does the pot have holes at the bottom of it so it can suck up water?

If the trap is old, this curling backwards is normal at the end of trap's life. Some VFTs lie really close to the surface. Do you know where you got the plant? Is there new growth in the center?

i got the plant at all american
there is no new growth in the center
the color is a dark green
one more thing earlier an ant was crawling on it and it took about three hours for the trap to close this has to be bad right?

VFTs can be sorta odd. Everything you are doing sounds fine, my guess is that it is just trying to get over being moved from the store into a good caring home. The color is fine, and the fact that the trap wouldn't close either means that it is an old trap or that the weather may not be all that great. They have a tendancy to slow down during bad weather(usually cold). But yea like jhaluska said, you might want to check to make sure the soil is good and damp/wet. Other than that I think that if you keep doing what your doing, the plant will recover and start growing again.

Increase your direct sunlight amounts. At this time, the plant needs desperately to feed itself through photosynthesis, and 4 hours of direct sun a day won't help. No less than 6 hours, and all day sun, if you can. The more sunlight your plant gets, the better off it will be.

6hrs huh? I'll remember that one!

ok thanx guys i feel better now

i hope later i will have enough experience with the VFT to help someone else with this problem

Thanx alot

you guys really encouraged me to believe in my plant

No prob man. That's what we're here for! LOL

Everything suggested here is right on the money in my book.  

If you saw an ant, look for spider mites too; especially if you have deformed new growth and the petioles (mistakenly called leaves) are spotted like a ripe bannana (from them sucking the juice from the petioles) You will need a magnifyer glass.  They will scamper in bright light. They look like tiny little crabs.  If you see any (even 1)  submerge your plant COMPLETELY underwater for 24 hours (purified) to rid them of it. You won't hurt your VFT one little bit as it happens in nature from time to time.

This will also flush any 'salts' or minerals from improper watering at the place you got it; although I doubt it's been there long enough to make a difference, but it will rid of any stagnant water (does the soil smell like rotten eggs?)

Spider mites can also be detected by flicking the plant over a clean, white sheet of paper and 'smear' your finger over any tiny little dots.  If you see rusty colored smears; you have mites.

I've been through this and they almost dessimated my collection.

I think that the above suggestions are correct, but should check; just in case.

Good Luck and welcome to the posts!

Back