What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dionaea muscipula (unidentified clone)

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
I sure enjoy Dionaea muscipula, they can really look nice. I like keeping them in little 2" square pots floating in water, reduces the problem of what to do with old leaves, they just rot away. Now if I could only keep the mites away permanently.
mad.gif

Dionaea_muscipula_web_AA.jpg

Hay Hellz here,
wow!!! nice VFT ^^
u havent had any problems with the whole plant rotting just sitting in all that water?
It seems like its doing well though,
Hellz

Mine just rot away when sitting in alot of water.I just when outside this morning to check on my plants and it seems I lost another to rot.
smile_h_32.gif

Jerry

If being emersed in water was the scourge of VFTs, their wouldn't be any VFTs. They are frequently flooded in their natural habitat, at least they were before we humans dug drainage ditches around them.

Water that just sits, and is not changed regularly, is asking for it. Rot thrives in water that just sits. Joe Mazrimas, ICPS founder, installed a drip system, and it percolates all day long. His rot problems from sitting water, has virtually disappeared. Moving water seems to help a lot.

Hay Hellz here,
o lol i guess dat makes sense
Hellz

Yeah that makes sense,but this vft just was put in atray of water last week and we had a few day of rain(6-8").It might have been the plant,who knows.All my other vft grow in deeper pots so the water table is lower,and they grow fine.

Jerry

During summer all my VFT's are submerged for a large part and I haven't lost too many of them. The only ones I lost were the ones that were submerged during winter in my garage and that makes sense as cold/wet/dark = rot

All I can say is, if my VFT's can look HALF that good, I'll be happy!!! By the way PinguiculaMan, that fluorescent bulb I got seems to be working VERY well. I'm getting some large new traps sprouting up and they have a decent amount of red in them, just from that 42 watt cool white fluorescent! In a month or two I'm hoping I have similar results to what you are having. I'll post a pic soon.

Good job FlyTrapNewbie.

I know that since I discovered the presence of plant-eating-mites and have taken measures to reduce/eliminate them, the other environmental factors of concern for healthy growth of Dionaea muscipula are relatively easy to provide and the plants usually respond very well, growing vigorously and appear very attractive.

Flooding them is not a problem, I do that to many of my plants. Why I even let my D.adelae sit in algaefied rain water for 2 weeks and the only thing that was gone was the mites. Perhaps the rot rotted them away.
smile.gif

Yes, sitting in water is very bad for many cp....just ask Joe Clemmens(Pinguiculaman) how he grows his D. regia, lol.

Back