What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complicated growing mediums

I just did a search in the VFT forum to find out how many people are using LFS and couldn't believe how complicated some people's recipes are.  A dash of this; a handful of that, etc. for their VFT'S.

Why then is the only VFT I have that is truly thriving for two years now (without repotting) is in pure LF Sphagnum?

I think the complicated mixtures an attempt to mimic the aery, absorbant, sterile, aneseptic, and wonderful drainage properites that only LFS can provide. A way to keep the peat from becoming concrete; well I've tried them all and haven't had much success unless I go with around 65 percent sand or something; even then it is pretty dense after several months.

I was buying the Shulz brand of peat, which I've heard is good; but I think it is too finely chopped.

Don't VFT'S pretty much live in Pure Sphagnum peat bogs that go down several feet?

The reason you use pure water is because the Sphagnum sterilizes and filters the water in their native environment.

So bottom line; do more people NOT use LFS because of it's apparant inavailability or expense, or they would use it?

I would like to hear what you think?

I don't pot my vft's in pure sphagnum moss is because it is too spongy for my tastes, and takes awhile for it to settle in.  Plus the expense can be quite high, when peat is dirt cheap and is readily available almost anywhere.  But overall, from mine and other peoples experiences, most people find that they tolerate a wide variety of potting mixtures and aren't too picky about it.
I have had most sucess with 50/50 sand and peat, or more sand sometimes if I have too much.  Peat and Perlite for me has gotten good results but the vft growth is a little slower for some reason.  Some people also just use plain 100% pure peat with good results, but I have never tried it.

In the wild, they are most commonly found growing in the more elevated area's of the bog were their medium compromises of mostly sand and peat, I haven't heard of them growing in sphagnum bogs too much.  

LFS has worked fine for me in the past, although most people avoid it because it can overwhelm the plant. In the wild they grow in a sandy peaty mix, so most people try to recreate that.

Hay, Hellz here,
ya, what alvin said is true, and ya, peat is more cheaper
biggrin.gif

lol anywayz, LFS is good for certain plants, but VFT wise, i like to use 50/50 Peat and sand
Hellz

I remember reading that in habitat, 95% of the soil is sand and the rest is "peaty", but one would not want that in cultivation. One missed watering and "poof."
Cheers,

Joe

I know a grower using 90% sand and 10% peat for his VFTs. And I must say his plants are the most beautifull plants I've seen In my life. I also have some 4 year old peat in use right now for a couple of my VFTs, and they are doing fine. However every year or two I have to break up the peat. I never use pure LFS, and for the one time I did, my plants turned a sickly yellow. LFS seems to turn into a mush too quickly. And the stuff is pretty unsightly when it rots. However, I like using LFS as top dressing, as the dormant spores will make a nice green moss on the surface.

I have heard growers that say their best vft's are the ones that grow in mostly sand with a little peat, and kept on the dry side. I mean DRY, to the point that when you do top water them the water kind of slides off like trying to rehydrate dry peat moss. I have never tried potting my vfts in that much sand, but do notice that when I forget to water the Bigger pots and the top dries, the vft's make bigger traps.
I would never recommend anyone doing this with their small pots (They dry out too fast) , but if you have them potted in gallon ones you'll be amazed with the results.

hay, Hellz here,
has anyone grown VFT (adult plants) in pure living Sphagnum?
also, i can never get any live sphagnum moss to grow on the LFS i use in my bog T_T ho does one go about growing live spaghnum successfully?
sry to change the topic Goldslinger
Hellz

I think Snowy Falcon was one to use pure, live LFS.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (HellzDungeon @ April 06 2005,2:15)]how does one go about growing live spaghnum successfully?
sry to change the topic Goldslinger
Hellz
I have several pots from lowes and such that used LFS as a medium. I've also had peat several years old sprout new growth. I found live LFS in the big bales of peat I've purchased as well. It dies back during the summer, but always comes back during the winter months. I've also had sucess growing it in a terrium year round. Once you find a place it will grow you'll never run out!

Thanks for the input, all.

I'm going to try different mediums; more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak.  It seems the consensus is 50/50 peat and sand and if you error, error on the side of more sand (the right kind of sand, too).  This is what I've been doing lately, and they seem alright for now, but haven't had the plants long enough.  I repot every year anyway, anyway, thanks again.

p.s. more input is most welcome! !

Gary

Back