What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coming out

so, how long does it take for your typical run of the mill vft to come out of dormancy? I have had several inside for about a month now, and I have nothing. this is only my third year growing cps, and I cannot remember how long it takes for them to come around. I did dormancy a bit differently as they were in a garage this year as opposed to inside a room that was about 55 degrees. I have some d. filiformus in the same pots, and they are showing signs of coming about. I am worried about the plants being dead. some though still have green on them from last season. most look like spent banana peels. but again, the ones inside have only been there for about a month. the others are outside in a sunny spot with most of my other cps. I don't think that they would fair all that poorly considering plants in the same size pots are alive as shown by the amount of color in them after their pitchers where trimmed. any help would, uh, help, yeah, that's right. if they don't come out of dormancy, I'd love to trade some plants for anyone that have extras....

I kept the lights over mine all through winter (on a timer, of course). When I brought mine in, I chopped off all the black parts and watered them a lot. A month later, I've got nine traps and the beginings of a flower. This is just a guess, but perhaps you should lop off the "Spent banana peel" looking parts of the VFT. I'm guessing that the energy of the VFT is being wasted trying to revive those parts. New traps might spring out from the center within a week (as mine did).

Good luck!

i dug up some of the bulbs today, and I found that many of them are mush. i believe that I may have lost about 35 plants all said and done. I kept them outside in my garage, and I kept them too wet.

Whoops! Sorry.
smile_h_32.gif

Believe it or not, you could have left them indoors with less water, and achieved the same results. (Not the mush, but dormancy.) I hate it when something goes wrong with the VFT's. They are, after all, what attracted me to CP in the first place.

All mine have been coming up for a few weeks now. Here the temperature (in the greenhouse) has been about 14-21C (57-70F) max and 5-10C (40-50F) min.

yes, I goofed. from now on, the plants (all of the) will winter in my coolest room in the house like they did two seasons ago. I lost zero. the one that hurts the most was a gorgeous pot from wal mart of all places, that my wife gave me for father's day. I have one vft typical that is apparently ok out of too too many.

I sat my pot of VFT plants on a windowsill that got about 4 hours of direct sunlight all winter long, and rarely every gave them a top-watering. I allowed the soil to go completely dry more than once between waterings. They ceased growth and went dormant but never lost their leaves. Spring rolled around so I stuck 'em in the terrarium and they immediately resumed growth. All of 'em have new leaves and traps, though a couple are having problems with the traps turning brown before opening, then slowly rotting back. I'll probably just have to treat with fungicide.

Funny, I find VTF very tolerant of dry conditions compared to others like sundews and such.

William

Absolutely, Wil. I find CP to be a lot tougher than many folks think. Mine reside outside year round in my bog, and always love their spring! I am not allowing flowers this year, 'cept for Red Dragon. Got tons of seed last year. Couldn't see the plants for all the flowers.

Back