What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What insects should you not feed to vfts?

The mouthpart thing was out of concern that it may chew through the trap. I can't really explain why the black spot would be right at the area where the mouthparts of the worm was except that it just happened to be in that area.. but anyway, I doubt it was a mealworm.. not sure exactly where they originate, but I know I've never found them anywhere but pet shops. Might have been a grub of some sort. You sure it wasn't a caterpiller?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]oh thats cruel!!!

So is leaving it in the VFT's jaws moments later to be slowly digested by gastric-juice-like acid.

I think a lightning bug wouldn't be a bad idea if the plant is flowering. I would think that it would take advantage of the extra Phosphorus, then.

oh thats cruel!!!

"So is leaving it in the VFT's jaws moments later to be slowly digested by gastric-juice-like acid."

oh maybe the fact the crushing the mouth parts and then letting it dissolve slowly is slightly more cruel FTG?
smile_l_32.gif

Um. Bugs is food. Personally, if I have to choose between the comfort of a bug and the appetite of my plant, the plant wins.

Of course, there are certain bugs I won't feed to my plants out of principal, like spiders (not technically bugs, I know, but allways welcome in my home (but not in my bed)).

Hey Everybody,
I just got a new VFT and i may have fed it carpenter ants, but I don't know. Are capenterr ants big and black? If so I hope I haven't killed my plant because at least 30% of my traps are black and mushy. Do all ants do that or just the big black ones? If someone could answer me, and in the mean time, no more ants!

what about ticks? could those be a problem?

Hi HVFT and welcome to our discussion forums! Big black ants are probably carpenter ants. As tempting as it is to provide food for our VFT's, they do very well outside, catching things naturally. I don't recall carpenter ants doing harm to traps, but I'm sure someone else will have a better answer. I don't know about ticks. Don't worry about the black and mushy traps. Just cut off the black part. Anything green is still doing photosynthesis. new traps will be produced.

I just fed mine a Wood Tick this morning. The tick was sucking my blood so I could thing of no better end for it then a slow death in digestive juices.

Spoken like a true cp person!

Those are my thoughts exactly. i figure if my pets bring them in, they are bringing me plant food.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]oh maybe the fact the crushing the mouth parts and then letting it dissolve slowly is slightly more cruel FTG?

Do you eat meat?

Gawd o0o, I totally agree. I did that once in the case of a feeding mosquito and a D. adelae.

were you asking me if i eat meat?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FlytrapGurl @ May 12 2005,3:52)](quote)oh maybe the fact the crushing the mouth parts and then letting it dissolve slowly is slightly more cruel FTG?

Do you eat meat?

Gawd o0o, I totally agree. I did that once in the case of a feeding mosquito and a D. adelae.[/quote]
i think you were asking me....lol
smile.gif

to answer your question i dont eat meat, nor do i eat gelatine, animal fat and i have started to stop drinking dairy milk ( pretty hard)
smile_l_32.gif

Curious why you asked? and do you eat meat?

kindest regards,

Just wondering, since we have a big anti-cruelty kick going on here.

I don't feel good about eating dead animals, but I can't live without meat. Chicken is a huge part of my live. KFC 4-EVA.

Besides, I don't eat much anyway, and I gotta get protein somewhere... I don't get to eat beans that often.

yeh anyhow im not against other species eating other animals, they dont really have a choice of what they eat, e.g. theoretically the VFT needs insects to source its need for Nitrogen. Other animals are highly adapted carnivors hence cannot eat or digest plants efficently.
To be honest i dont mind humans eating meat (alot of my friends and relatives eat meat) however we do have choices and is up to one to make, and seeing that we can can digest plants fairly effciently i choose to be vege. although if it was up to me i would prefer everyone to be vege, simply because we dont need animals to survive but more to satisfy our taste buds
smile_n_32.gif

kindest regards, and hope i didnt offend anyone by mistake. i believe everyone is entitled to their own views and principles.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]theoretically the VFT needs insects to source its need for Nitrogen.

Actually, no CP "needs" insects. They could grow perfectly well without eating.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]we dont need animals to survive but more to satisfy our taste buds

Actually, as with any other predator species, if we didn't kill off many of the species we eat, the planet would be overrun with not just humans, but also animals.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]kindest regards, and hope i didnt offend anyone by mistake.

Nah, we're not that sensitive -_^

hey FlytrapGurl,

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Actually, no CP "needs" insects. They could grow perfectly well without eating.

I think you'l find that the VFT does need insects for optimum growth....how else does it obtain it's nitrogen? nitrogen is need for growth as it a vital element found in amino acids, and the location where they are found naturally have very little nitrogen content in the soil, hence they have developed through evolution traps to catch insects.
it's like when a baby is breastfed, it's not ESSENTIAL to be breastfed, as it wont die, but when it is breastfed, many of the essential nutrients and cells that defend the body from disease is passed on from the mother to the baby.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Actually, as with any other predator species, if we didn't kill off many of the species we eat, the planet would be overrun with not just humans, but also animals

LOL!!!! sorry dear, but im afraid unless you actually hunt you own animal, the animals you eat are espcially grown for human consumption. if the demand for meat decreased the suppliers would breed less animals. You dont honestly believe that butchers/supermarkets etc kill animals they find naturally? they are all mass bred in farms/barns boxes etc and pumped with hormones to produce meat quicker for the high demand of humans.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Nah, we're not that sensitive -_^

had to include it, not only because i mean it, but there are people who get offended about topics like this.

anyway Tc and i'll awaite your reply.

kindest regards,

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]....and pumped with hormones to produce meat quicker for the high demand of humans.

Don't know about else where but here in Wisconsin. Most farms don't use hormones, they actually feed them foods that are high in the vitamins and minerals they need to produce high quantities of meat/milk depending on the cow. I just spent the day touring farms all over the place. We got to see them mixing the food for the cows. We only went to dairy farms, but they are fed better then meat cattle.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]LOL!!!! sorry dear, but im afraid unless you actually hunt you own animal, the animals you eat are espcially grown for human consumption. if the demand for meat decreased the suppliers would breed less animals. You dont honestly believe that butchers/supermarkets etc kill animals they find naturally? they are all mass bred in farms/barns boxes etc and pumped with hormones to produce meat quicker for the high demand of humans.

I know that, and that's not what I meant. I was referring to game animals, such as wild turkey or deer. If it weren't for hunters, deer would overpopulate and starve, especially during winter.

Scientists theorize that the reason kids are starting puberty so much earlier nowadays is because of the growth hormones chickens are given.

Back