What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cutting success

I took 4 cuttings back in february in an attempt to try and propogate some flytraps.  I've tried it in the past without much luck probably because of lack of patience.  This time I was determined to let them go.  3 of them turned black over the next month, but a 4th stayed green and showed some promise.  Well it's been over 2 1/2 months now, and you can finaly see some little tiny new traps forming.  these traps are very small, maybe a mm long if that.  About 2 weeks ago, I almost gave up and I sprinkled D. spatulata seeds all over the surface and now you can see 100ds of little tiny seedlings in the photo.  So I'll have a pot full of D. spatulata with one VFT.

cutting.jpg

Here is the parent plant.  It's a nice healthy typical plant with nice big traps.  Doing well considering I stole some of it's early traps in february.  The pot is 4 inches to give you a size reference.

vfttypical.jpg

How did you prepare the media and did you cover the cuttings? I am attemting the same, only with live LFS on top.

Pretty sure my first attempt failed. Tips of the leaf are starting to turn black.. I have it sitting in a pot with my 3 sundews.
I did however find a small trap growing next to one of my vft's in it's pot. So I guess a I got a new plant anyway..

The media is about a 60/40 peat sand mix. I simply pulled the leaf so I had part of the white from the bulb and burried that end in the media. I then kept it in a well lit high humidity environment. It took about 5 to 6 weeks before I saw any growth at all. I actually cut the trap off and used only the leaf petiole.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gawd_oOo @ April 30 2005,8:43)]Pretty sure my first attempt failed. Tips of the leaf are starting to turn black.. I have it sitting in a pot with my 3 sundews.
This is normal. I've had the leaves wither & turn black for as far as I could see (they were stuck in spagnum) and still produce babies.

I've given up on them and a month (or 2 later) find baby VFTs and have to try & figure out what I originally placed in that spot...

Well you have inspired me to propagate some more VFTs and hopefully they will survive. Good new my 'Fang' and new 'Red Dragon' are doing well.

Is it safe to assume that when it runs black and funguses over, like a dead guppy, that you can toss it?

Back