What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Twisting leaves and deformed traps

I just noticed that one of my VFT grown outside is producing twisting leaves with the traps deformed. One has opened upside down. The substrate is mainly peat. None of the other plants show this. I've looked carefully(but haven't been probing around) and haven't seen any mites(but I still think they are their). Submerging the whole pot would be inconvenient. Any suggestions?

This shows the twisted upside down trap.

DSCN0204.jpg

From what I've seen, mites can do that to almost any plant, spider mites especially. What conditions have you been growing them in? Did you recently replant, or take any other action that might cause shock?

Looks like the work of aphids to me. I should know I've been batteling them in some of my red dragons, and others. Look closely at the underside of your plants for some little green buggers.

I hear that Orthene is the best systemic insecticide to use for pests. Get it in the wettable powder form, because the petroleum wetting agents could be detrimental to the plant.

ZAK: I have been inspecting them regularly for aphids and removing them as soon as they are spotted(they probably don't stay for more than a few hours at best).

I haven't repotted since wintertime. The medium lately isn't as moist as it was then but nonre of the other plants show this.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mannex17 @ May 01 2005,11:21)]I hear that Orthene is the best systemic insecticide to use for pests.  Get it in the wettable powder form, because the petroleum wetting agents could be detrimental to the plant.
Where does one obtain this?
confused.gif
?
confused.gif
?
confused.gif
???

They're aphids definitely. I spray with an insecticide containing pyrethrins and it does the job.

I've also heard diluted rubbing alcohol is good against aphids

I was inspecting mine, but couldn't find a single one. That is until the situation got almost out of hand. Honestly I paniced, and nuked them with rose pride areosol spray. I guess we'll see if the plants survive. The rest of my collection I'm treating with Neem diluted at half strength.

How does one use the dilute rubbing alchohol? It seems safer. Personally I don't see any aphids(check in the rosette too)...but who knows.

Back