What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vft flower types

Once upon a time, I thought all VFT flowers looked alike. Then I saw Ed Read's photo of a "Wacky Traps"
http://home.petflytrap.com/tissueculture/images/wackkyflw.jpg
and I started looking more closely.

This year, I decided to check out as many flowers of VFT cultivars and clones as I could find. My plants are just now starting to flower. Here is a start. If you have photos to add, please do so.

Dionaea 'Cupped Trap' (S.Stewart)
VFTCupFlower0401.JPG

VFTCupFlower0406.JPG

This flower looks "typical" to me.

'Akai Ryu' ('Red Dragon') Note the red stigma and somewhat darker sepals.
VFTreddragon2052.jpg

My cup trap was about to flower... then my pet rabbit bit it off! Oh well... it seems like they like to ruin the best things. Out of about twenty flower stalks she had to go and nip off the cup trap flower!
Well, I learned my lesson and now keep all my growing trays a little elevated so they can't reach them.

Wow, there are differences! The one from the link has narrow petals.

I'm not supprised. Cultivars that genetically different must have different flowers. Some of the genes are probibly linked

Here is a 7-petaled plant that I received with the name "Giant". Note that 2 petals have a narrow attachment and 5 petals have the wider "normal attachment.
VFTGiant0494.JPG

---------------------------
The flower on my "All Green" plant has 5 petals that are rather narrow.
VFTAllGreen0501.JPG

That reminds me of looking at purple & yellow flowers from "johnny-jump-ups". From the same plant, I noticed different hues of colors. I would think that each F2 of a given plant would have slightly different phenotype, but not on the same plant.

Back