What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this safe?

It wasn't long after I had my VFT that I began to notice the tiny new traps developing out of the center were turning black, and dying. Soon even the bigger developing traps were falling prey to this. I think it's that Black Spot fungus that affects VFT's. I went to my local Wal-Mart's garden section hoping for some Cleary 3336WP, but all they had is something called Schultz Fungicide 3. Here's a review I found online.
http://www.epinions.com/content_146536304260

It says it's water-based, so it might not have any of those drosera-raping petroleum wetting agents I've read about. Has anyone used this, and if so, how did it work?

What is a good fungicide to use? During dormancy I'm going to put my plants in a refrigerator. I'm worried that while in there I may have a fungus problem.

I think Cleary 3336WP is supposed to be the best. If Fungicide 3 works, and considering it's natural, and controls insects as well, I'd consider it great. I'll keep you guys posted on the results.

From the review.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Environment Hazards: Do not apply directly to water, to areas where surface water is present, or to wetlands. Do not contaminate water by cleaning of equipment or disposal of equipment washwaters.
Schultz Fungicide 3 sounds to intense for VFT's.
What do you know about Cleary 3336WP. Do you have any reviews on it?

I haven't really had any experience with 3336WP, but it's recommended on pretty much every CP website and in Savage Garden, so I'd bet it's a pretty good fungicide. California Carnivores sell this stuff called Physan 20, which is said to kill algea, but since algea is a plant, I don't know about that...

VFT's are actually a very hardy CP. They're a lot tougher than most drosera, nepenthes, and pinguicula. I sprayed mine with that Fungicide 3 stuff, and they seem to be doing fine, maybe even better. Just for kicks I sprayed the mold-infested dead flower stalk of my dead P. primuliflora, and the stuff was gone within an hour. My sundews experienced some dew loss, but overall they're fine.

The only problem with the stuff is the smell. I sprayed my plants with it, and then went to the bathroom and crapped out a turd that smelled exactly like it. It smells like a cross between skunk and gasoline. (Maybe I should see a doctor...)
The only thing that smells worse is SuperThrive.

Mannex17, just a note I would prefer if you wouldn't use such language... it can be said in better terms
smile.gif

Back to the question-I've been using the Schultz Fungicide 3 for a year or two now. Overall, it works pretty well on dionaea's and Sarracenias, but ok on droseras and other more sensitive plants. The Cleary stuff I think is a lot better for treating diseases though and doesn't harm sundews that much. I believe all cp growers should use this stuff and keep it on hand.

Chill on the grotesque language Mannex.
smile_m_32.gif

As for a fungicide, I recommend Captan, I just luckily found some at a garden center on a trip to my Uncles. Hard to find, but reputed to work great.

Gee, I hope everyone is just poking fun at Mannex17. I didn't think it was that bad, just a little descriptive. Maybe if he were to drink some Cleary 3336WP it would help with his rectal disorder. As for my planets, I'm going with the Cleary 3336WP. I search the web and it looks like the best choice.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Holy smoke! It's like $88.00 a bag. For that price I could just keep buying new plants. Anyone know of something cheaper? Maybe some one could loan me a scoop.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Yea I'm having black spot fungus problems also. This is my first plant and is it always this bad? I sprayed with Fung3 and even covered the wet peat with foil to keep the traps from coming in contact with the ground. I don't know if that last idea was a good one but so far it's working.:(

OK, I got some Cleary 3336 from petflytrap.com. Does anyone know how to use it? I got what looks like an 8 ball of crystal meth. The paper that came with it talks about spaying 100's of acres. My terrarium is only 2 or 3 square feet. I'm not real smart. Some one help me.
smile_n_32.gif

Just follow the directoins given on the website. They give you enough to mix the whole packet in one gallon of water and use as needed.

How much of the mixture do you spay on the plants? Can you put on too much?

I think the "3" product just a diluted Neem oil? I have used it on my Sarrs and VFTs with no ill effects so far. You can do a search on Neem Oil and CPs to come up with other experiences.

The only things I have read to be careful of is to spray it on sundews, to not get too much into a pitcher... which could cause upset stomach, and to be careful when spraying it on plants that are in full sun that day since it is a oil... it could cause burn..... but I havn't had any burn problems so far.

It does smell a bit... but not as bad as most insecticides.

Yeah, it seems to be working great for me so far, but then I've really never had an insect problem, so I can't vouch for that part of the product.

Back