What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red dragon seed question

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I heard this and wondered if it was correct.
If a Red Dragon flowered and I pollinated the flowers would the seed from the plant produce Red Dragon plants?
I did not think that seed from cultivators would produce true plants.

To the best of my knowledge, ANY plant that bears resembling characteristics to the published cultivar may be called by the cultivar name. However, not all seed produced from a specific cultivar will produce plants that match the published description. In other words, just because your seeds came from a 'Red Dragon' doesnt mean that your seedlings can be automaticly labeled as 'Red Dragon'. They will still need to bear the published traits.

Cheers
Steve

I think seeds from a cultivar are labeled as F2, correct?

That sounds about right, PiranhaPlant, but I think that F2 is specificially when the plant in question has been self-pollinated or crossed back on itself.
~Joe

I believe that the seedlings from the parent should NEVER be called Red Dragons. They should be ALL labled F2 generation plants since they can never 100% represent the parent traits. Unless the cultivar specifically says that the plants resembling these traits can be called so and so, don't label them or it'll just cause more impurities to the cultivar.

Most of the registrations for cultivars state that to retain the plant's characteristics, they should only be vegetatively propagated.

I grapped a CPN (vol 33, #3) and looked at several of the new cultivar descriptions.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]This cultivar should be propagated vegetatively to maintain its characteristics
for Sarracenia 'Katerina'. 4 of the 6 plants being registered in that issue had similar statements. Ironically, one of the 2 that didn't was "Big Easy" but it may have been assumed since Joseph stated that this clone has never flowered in his experience.

From what I have seen, it is much safer to assume that any cultivar should only be vegetatively propagated (to maintain the cultivar name). Production of seed is obviously possible but plants produced this way should not carry the cultivar name.

Some registrations state that plants can be propagated sexually (but they seem to be an exception).

As for the argument that as long as the characteristics are maintained, then it is the cultiver: many times the characteristics are not obvious to the lay person. Several years ago, when I grew VFT 'Royal Red' & VFT 'Red Dragon' side by side, I could not see any differences. When I posted that 'innocent' observation to the listserver, a taxonomist-type person proceeded to politely list all of the differences that he had observed (many of which were completely incomprehensible to me).
confused.gif
This pretty much served as a lesson for me to keep my mouth shut unless I figured I had a clue...
smile_t_32.gif

Back