What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crap...

I had a big leaf on my vft with no trap on it, so I decided to pull it off and attempt a cutting. The leaf came off without a fuss, but when I tried to lift it out of the pot, it was still stuck on something. I pulled harder, and long stringy roots came up with the leaf. I cussed, and checked the larger plant to see if it was alright. The mother plant still has some roots, so I think it should be okay. Any suggestions? When I pot the cutting, do I burythe roots in the soil, or just press them into it?

Instead of doing a cutting you've just done a division. You probably made your job easier... you don't have to wait for it to root anymore.

Ah, that works. I just went outside and buried the roots.

Keep us up to date on those cuttings.
posticonspin.gif

I'll keep you updated... if I even get anything... So far my luck with cuttings has been 0/10 or so.
smile_h_32.gif

Well, the leaf cutting has started to die, but it's a bit green near the base so far. No plantlets yet. As for the nub with the roots attached, I lost it in the dirt. I'm going to have to wait for plantlets to poke up.

Any green at all is good. They tend to look worse than death warmed over, and yet, there is a possibility of life left in it.

I've done the same thing before - most of the leaf dies off for me as well. As long as the base is green/white, then you have hope. I also try not to keep it too soggy, as that can cause it it rot. I like to keep the soil more towards damp.

Back