What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vft flowers

I think it was Bob Z. who posted some VFT photos earlier this year (or last?) that showed some of the VFT flowers demonstrate some significant variability. Before he posted a photo of a VFT 'wacky traps' flower, I hadn't really inspected the blooms too closely.

Today, I was out making some crosses amongst my friends and remembered Bob's photos.

VFTbloodredRS.jpg

This is a VFT 'Blood Red' flower (or at least that's what it was supposed to be - hasn't had red traps yet...) Notice the deep lobes on the petals.

VFTfusedtoothRS.jpg

This is a VFT 'Fused tooth' flower. Notice that the petals are thinner and more widely spaced than the next one. (Sorry about the missing stamens - they were used elsewhere...
smile_l_32.gif
)

VFTreddragonRS.jpg

This is a VFT 'Red dragon'. The petals on this flower seemed to be representative of the size/shape of most of the other flowers.

It is interesting that the stigma of your 'Red Dragon' does not have the characteristic red stigma that all of my 'Red Dragon' plants have.
VFTreddragon2052.jpg

However, about a year ago, I received another 'Red Dragon' plant that flowered this spring and it did not have a red stigma.
VFTRedDragon0938.JPG

My 'Red Dragon' F2 plants have a red stigma
VFTRedDragonF2_1109.JPG

as does 'Red Piranha'
VFTRedPiranha1072.JPG

'Royal Red'
VFTRoyalRed0509.JPG

and "Green Dragon"
VFTGreenDragon1106.JPG

All of my other VFT clones have non-red stigmas. Interesting, huh?

The F2 plant's stigma is amazingly strong/deep red.

I'm glad you brought this up because I do have another Red Dragon that does have a red stigma (that I received recently from a different source). It only has one flower open so far & I was wondering if it was a fluke since the others weren't red.

So where's the photo of your 'new' 'wacky traps' flower??

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RL7836 @ June 16 2005,4:30)]The F2 plant's stigma is amazingly strong/deep red.

So where's the photo of your 'new' 'wacky traps' flower??
The stigma color is always a brighter (more concentrated) red before the stigma opens (matures).

My "Wacky Traps" plant is still too small to flower. There is always next year. The only flower photo that I have ever seen of "Wacky Traps" AKA "Bart Simpson" is that single photo of Ed Read's. I did get an email from Stefan Ploszak that said:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I don't have a clear image of the "bart simpson" flower. I can confirm that Ed's photo is 100% accurate. Worth noting is that the stigma is very reduced and even absent.

I just put together a Web page of flowers of 20 VFT cultivars that I am growing.
http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/zphotos/VFT_Flowers.html

To fill out this "photo essay", I would like to add flower photos of other cultivars, for those willing to allow me to use them (with full disclosure of and attribution to owner, of course).

My 'Red Dragon' stigma has no red.

This picture is a year old, but here is my smallest vft to flower, it was a seedling that produced a flower with 12 petals, if I can recall, it had two of everything, including 2 stigmas that were deformed...

fe887209.bmp

Frame00562.bmp

Back