What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help

Hi im sort of a newbie at this. I have bought a VFT about 2 weeks ago and it was doing fine. Then all of a sudden the traps would not shut when trying to feed them,and then soon after the leaves just started turning black. Not all of them but a majority of them. There are also some new ones coming up but they are growing really slow now.
Can anyone help me on letting me know whats going on?
And will it affect any other of my CP in the terarrium?

Oh and its a Red Dragon VFT if you needed to know.

hey there,

on average each trap can only close 4 times (roughly speaking) once that number is reached or it may stay there for photosynethesis or will go black and rot away. if this is the case dont worry about it all traps turn black soon or later. you have new wons growing so its ok.
it's best you keep you lant outside if is sunny and let it catch it's own prey.

Depending on where you live, VFTs usually grow better outside in full sunlight where they can catch bugs and stuff. Don't move it right out in full sun right away, you have to adapt it or it will get burned.

Make sure you're only giving it distilled or rain water as well. Tap water has bad minerals in it. It won't hurt the other plants in your terrarium as long as it isn't some kind of insect or fungus problem. How well does the air circulate in your terrarium?

I need to figure out a way to circulate the air. but havent figured that out yet any good pointers?
And I live in northwest Illinois. So the weather is never the same.

Did you repot it? If you're just starting out, you may not know that VFTs and other carnivorous plants absolutely hate nutritive soils, for the same reason they dislike tap water. They will die in almost any medium that has nutrients, so you have to plant them in more or less inert materials, such as peat moss, long fiber sphagnum, silica sand, and perlite.
I don't know a lot about the weather in Illinois, but I think you should be able to keep it outside, at least during the growing season. VFTs grow wild in New Jersey (where they've been introduced into bogs) and do just fine. If it's at all possible, your VFT will almost certainly be happier outside. Like ChronoKiento said, when you bring it outside, it's better to start it off in partial shade, and gradually move it into brighter light. Morning sunlight is better than afternoon sunlight because the air is cooler and more humid in the morning.
So far as air circulation in the terrarium goes, you might try looking at the terrarium forum for tips on rigging computer muffin fans for use in terrariums.
Best luck, and welcome to the forums!
~Joe

Back