What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vft closing

Hello I'm new to carnivorous plants and I've been lurking around here for a couple of weeks so I have my first vft question  
smile.gif

I was pulling out some dead traps from under my vft and accidentaly triggered overlapping traps, so one closed on the other and both are now closed  
smile_n_32.gif
. Will it cause any harm to the plant or cause the traps to fall off?

Nope, they should reopen by tomorrow, just don't move them more or they might think they caught something alive.

Ah ok I tried to gently seperate them right after they closed when it first happend, but realised they close pretty tightly on each other so I left it alone, how much movement do traps need to start their digestion sequence?
smile_n_32.gif

By the way thanks for the quick response
smile.gif

I'm not quite sure, but gently trying to separate them may have triggered the second phase. I think that they can even sense dead bugs inside them, if it's pressed up against a trigger-hair.

Yes, they can tell if there is something alive in the trap after the trap has already been activated, because the trigger hairs are still being touched. Just give it a day or so and they should open back up.

Back