What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nice vfts at michigan wal-mart

• Thread starter flytrap59
  • Start date
Recently our local Wal-Mart in SW Michigan received a new shipment of beautiful VFTs. Instead of being stuck inside a closed dome they've been packaged inside a tall flexible plastic cylinder which has a few holes pocked into the top. They're still potted in the usual 3" pot. Virtually every plant in the shipment had healthy red traps. The holes in the top of the container allow for just enough moisture to keep the plants in good condition for a longer period of time. I purchased 4 plants for $4.96 each and repotted all 4 plants into one 6" pot. I acclimated them to direct sunlight over a period of 5 days and didn't lose one trap in the bunch. That was two weeks ago and they still look great. The label on the container says "California Nurserymen's Association". Has anyone else come across these VFTs in a Wal-Mart elsewhere?

Ron, where ya been? Long time no hear! Anyways, that sounds a lot like the packaging I saw at our Home Depot, from a Canadian outfit called Colisantis. PTL!

Ah! Nurseryman's Exchange! They have a HUGE place in Half-Moon Bay, California. Great layout and thousands of TC'ed VFT's. They do good work there.

Yup, they had those (dentes) in my local Wally-world. Of course, by the time I saw them, they had been in the store so long they had gotten weak and sickly, but they did still have surprisingly good color. I got one that had three plantlets in with it, and got them all repotted out into individual pots. They all survived and are doing fine. Yay!

Hi Jim!
I've been super busy this past spring. Our CBS affiliate in SW Michigan did a 3 minute news piece on my CP hobby in May. I've been scheduled to speak 6 times at a Botanical Gardens throughout the upcoming summer & fall. I also finally purchased a good digital camera and started taking bazillions of photos which I've been using for power point presentations in schools. How do I post photos to terraforums? I still haven't figured that out yet.
BTW, I also found some excellent VFTs at our local Meijers store back in May. I kept checking the store everyday during my lunch hour and was able to grab the three best pots just hours after they were put on the shelf. The entire 25 pots were sold out in a week.
Anyway, I'm hoping to continue slowly building a full-time business out of this CP mania. I should be back on forums more frequently now that things are settling down. See you around!

Glad to have ya back! A f/t business? Retail? Wholesale?

Hey Jim, That would be a retail business at first.

Hmmm. VFT's turned into dollar signs. Yech.

Hey Bugweed! Yech!
confused.gif

I think you're Jumping the gun on your harsh judgment. I'm looking at it as thousands of children being educated about the curiosity and beauty of these magnificant plants. I've been a requested speaker on the subject at many area schools for years. And as for "VFTs for dollars" even you purchased your first VFT from somewhere. In fact, the nice folks who run this forum earn money from CP sales. It can't be all bad. I happen to enjoy what I'm doing and I'd like to do it full time. Unfortunately, for some I guess, that takes an income!

Back