What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Full sun?

I just got a Big Mouth fly trap from Cooks and its pretty red already.Would it be ok to give it full sun? I think that if I dont its gonna lose its awsome color but I also dont want it to burn in the sun.

I'm sure the more experienced growers will come along soon to comment, but what I would do is gradually get it used to full sun over the course of a week or two. VFT's like full sun, but you can shock the plant if you abruptly give it more sun that it had at the nursery.

I agree with LeftCoast. Whenever you receive a plant in the mail, or even re-pot a plant, it is a good idea to let it adjust to the stress by first placing it in a bright, but shaded location. Then, after a few days, gradually introduce it to progressively brighter conditions before placing it in direct full sun.

If you bought it straight from Cook's it should be all good to go into full sun, but if it's been languishing away in the corner of a drug store somewhere I'd take precautions and acclimate it.
From what I understand, the hardier North American CPs, particularly full sun ones like Dionaea and Sarracenia, can go straight into full sun will no acclimation - the worst that will happen is that some of the leaves will burn and may die back. The next crop of leaves will be acclimated for full sun and should do fine. All of the plants I get from reputable CP vendors or trades (IE plants not on the verge of death) go straight into their growing conditions - I don't bother with moving them indoors and outdoors at certain times or anything that involved. If the plant looks stressed or starts to burn in its new home, give it a dilute watering of Superthrive.
Best luck,
~Joe

just stick it out there in full sun. even if a few leaves do die it won't matter.

I have had success with any of the ways mentioned above. I would definately baby a prized plant however.

The ones I just got I started out with 4 hours a day for a week. I finally placed out for 8+ hours of full sunlight and after 3 days I noticed that all traps are wide open and facing upward instead of on their sides and new growth is starting to rapidly begin.

Back