What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats your biggest trap so far?

Hey, whats your biggest trap so far this season? Mines 1.75" from my creeping death that is not fully developed yet! All my others have just started to grow bigger traps. Most of my vfts have at least 1" traps, but most have 1.25" traps.

My Petes Giant again has made traps in the 1.5" range but none above that mark yet.

Remember the rules from years past. Bragging without a photo that includes a ruler for scale is just that: Unconfirmed bragging.

Hmmmm let me get the calipers out.....My traps are about 1.5 inches so far.

smile.gif

A little over and inch.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BobZ @ July 28 2005,7:35)]Remember the rules from years past. Bragging without a photo that includes a ruler for scale is just that: Unconfirmed bragging.
Pony up - I don't see any photos......
confused.gif
smile_m_32.gif

What if somebody can't post photos?

Ok, I just did an official measurment today and the trap is actually above the half way point between .5 and .75 of an inch (hides away in shame) . Finger measurments aren't the most accurate...
 I would get a pic, but I don't have access to a digital camera.  The only camera available is my webcam which takes horrible pictures.
My creeping death is in a big mini bog so taking pics of it is not an option.  Maybe if I save up money to buy a digital camera I'll post pics of all my plants.

umm... where do they sell rulers with inches divided in tenths? I need to find one of those.

Why in tenths?You can get them down to 32nds and 64ths.

Jerry

because it's more even, (i mean, 1/64th? that's just hard to picture) and you can use decimals more easily. With 32ths and 64ths you have to convert... unless it's half an inch or so.
the metric system is way better... and since americans don't want to use it, I guess One has to be satisfied with inches divided in tenths.

and since everyone that posted used decimals, I'm guessing they sell rulers with inches in tenths, since it would be less work to say what the ruler really says and not convert it.

I use calipers that are accurate to .001 inch. At work everything we do is in thousanths of an inch.
1 mm = .03937 inch.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ July 30 2005,5:52)]umm... where do they sell rulers with inches divided in tenths? I need to find one of those.
Alpha, check at a surveying supply store/company.

Surveying is done using Inches and tenths. Hand drawn maps. etc.

my biggest trap so far is a little of an 1". Keep in mind I've only had this for one month. I noticed that right after I fed all the traps, there was this mega blossom of one inch sized traps. too bad the season's ending already. :{

This year has been a wash. Week after week of cold, foggy weather has left my vfts and sarras decidedly unenthusiastic. So, last year remains my banner year for traps. Here's a pic from last year's batch. This is a "green dragon" purchased originally right here at PFT. As you can see, it's just a tad bigger than 1 3/4":

vft_from_pft_4.sized.jpg

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Capslock @ Aug. 26 2005,12:01)]This year has been a wash. Week after week of cold, foggy weather has left my vfts and sarras decidedly unenthusiastic.
I am on the coast just a couple hundred miles north of you. I, too, have experienced weeks of cold, foggy weather. This has been the first year in decades that my VFTs and Sarracenias have just pooped along and the only time that I can remember that I have lost some VFTs to disease.

lmao... that took me a little while.

you'r great Tamlin

lol I'd have to agree with that answer.
laugh.gif

Well, mine is long gone but it WAS a 1.75" trap. I miss that bad boy...
confused.gif

I had a photo floating around here somewhere...I wonder if its still around...

Back