What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help!

I have aphids that are making my leaves deformed, what can I do to get rid of them?

I use Orthene, as it is a systemic and will be absorbed by the plant to help protect for a longer period of time. I have also used Sevin and Diazanon and Malathion, all of which have done miracles for me. My dad keeps the three just mentioned so I have an easy source, but all of these can be found at Lowes, Walmart, Home Depot, local garden shops, etc.

Edit: I've seen a lot of people using the "dunking" method in which they just submerge the infested plant in whatever water they use to water the plant. It seems that 48-72 hrs underwater usually does the trick. Just look at the center of the plant and the new growth, if there are lots of aphids left; dunk it longer. I have not personally used the method, but it seems to work for those who do not have an insecticide readily available.

I have had 100% success by putting the pot in a larger and taller container and overfilling it with water. I have done 2 days and 2 weeks. I have no more aphids and haven't lost a plant. I would recommend this first, as it is the easiest and cheapest approach, before using chemicals.

I use a homemade spray. 1 tablespoon coffee, 1 tablespoon dishwashing soap (like ajax) and 1 shot of mouthwash. Mix with water and spray. Works for me and doesn't harm plants.

P.S. This kills ants instantly, and they are tough little pests.

One of my Sarracenias had aphids; I submerged it for two days, and haven't seen them since.

Me, I make a bow and arrow out of a toothpick, and use a pin for an arrow, and go aphid huntin'. They are quite a challenge to kill as you have to hit them without puttin' holes in your plants. Try THAT on for size!

biggrin.gif

The attacks I have had this year must be aphids. However they are very very tiny. Hey Bug, do mites do the same things to the plants as the aphids?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ July 31 2005,12:45)]Me, I make a bow and arrow out of a toothpick, and use a pin for an arrow, and go aphid huntin'. They are quite a challenge to kill as you have to hit them without puttin' holes in your plants. Try THAT on for size!
Sounds like something out of Monty Python, involving bazookas and mosquitoes.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (zappafan @ July 30 2005,11:53)]I use a homemade spray. 1 tablespoon coffee, 1 tablespoon dishwashing soap (like ajax) and 1 shot of mouthwash. Mix with water and spray. Works for me and doesn't harm plants.

P.S. This kills ants instantly, and they are tough little pests.
Carpenter ants? Where or how did you come across this recipe?

Actually, when you think about it, these are very common ingredients, that we of this species utilize, on a daily basis. A little scary, if ya think about it.
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_l_32.gif

I used Schultz's Fruit and Vegetable Insect Spray, it says that it kills all stages of insects including the eggs. It also says that it kills aphids right on the front. Will this work.

The Savage Garden (Bible of Cps) says that anything with soap in it will damage the plant because of how sensitive they are. I haven't used soap just because of that. I guess it is up to you. I would go w/ Jim's advice though.

Back