What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please help me and my vft

I had boughten a VFT and didn't know i wasn't supposed to use tap water and most of my plant withered away. But luckily in time a found out that I was supposed to use distilled water. I've been using distilled water for about a weeka and a half now and my flytrap doesn't seem to be getting any better or any worse. Any tips?

Two weeks is much too short to see recovery, if indeed the problem was from bad water. If all you did was change water, you may not have solved the problem. You should have also replanted the VFT in new soil media, because the minerals from the bad water was deposited in the soil. Repeated flushing with distilled water may reduce the mineral content, but if the plant was so affected that it "withered away", the soil was probably seriously mineralized.

Helldragon...I'm just curious.  Are you from or live in New York by any chance?

Also...it really helps people to diagnose a problem if you provide ALL the details about the plant. What kind of light its getting, how long, if its growing indoors or out, temperature, are you feeding it and if so what, etc. It could be something other than water that's killing it. OR it might have been so abused where you bought it from, its in bad shape.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Aug. 04 2005,2:34)]Are you from or live in New York by any chance?
His profile says he lives in California.

PAK, you are absolutely correct. The problem may not be the water at all. Dissolved minerals in California tap water ranges from virtually "distilled" from many Sierra sources to extremely high concentrations in Colorado River sources. Consequently, tap water is perfectly OK for CPs in some California areas and deadly in others. Most community water companies will give you a print out of their water chemistry analysis.

Welcome to the forum.

Personally I would repot your plant in fresh sphagnum moss peat. As long as new growth is appearing from the center, then it's ok, but in the long term it might suffer sitting in the old left behind minerals.

well i brought the plant home from a pet expo and it was in great shape. Its mainly inside a small terrarium to keep humidity as Southern California is hot and dry. Even though most of the time it's inside it does have a large uv light on it about 6-7 hours a day. Also when it is not to hot out I will put it in a have shaded region on my patio to let it take in some natural sunlight.

And does anyone know if i can buy peat moss in a retail store or is it only sold over the internet.

Where in Southern California do you live? Southern California is one of the best places to grow VFTs outdoors year round with no protection. Thats they way I grow them and I live 30 miles inland in Sou Cali. I hear people complaining about the heat in San Diego and LA all the time. I really think those people don't know what they are talking about since LA and San Diego are the coolest spots in Southern California. Wait till they get a taste on inland empire heat.

You cant complain about heat till you've lived in Texas. Most of the year all we get is 100 degree days. Kinda sucks but oh well.

-Rail

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Helldragon4356 @ Aug. 04 2005,4:06)]And does anyone know if i can buy peat moss in a retail store or is it only sold over the internet.
You should be able to buy peat moss in any local garden shop or nursery. Make sure it is Sphagnum Peat Moss. Also, make sure that no fertilizer has been added.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BobZ @ Aug. 05 2005,1:46)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Helldragon4356 @ Aug. 04 2005,4:06)]And does anyone know if i can buy peat moss in a retail store or is it only sold over the internet.
You should be able to buy peat moss in any local garden shop or nursery. Make sure it is Sphagnum Peat Moss. Also, make sure that no fertilizer has been added.
That's for sure. I almost bought some, then noticed it had Miracle Grow added.

Thx to every1. Today I just noticed that my vft is doing better because a new leave just broke the surface of the dirty YAHH! Thx again.

Congratulations! And that is the way to tell if your plants are hanging in there / alive. Always look to new growth. Many plants, either through garden center neglect or shipping stress, go onto or are in shock by the time we get them home. Once you see a new leaf, the plant is recovering.
smile.gif

RATS! I just got everything together to give the plant its last rites, and now you say its gonna live??

Back