What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lawn service almost killed my cps

Before I left for vacation last week I placed all my plants in a huge, low to the ground tub and flooded them with H2O and placed them where they would only reveive about 5 hours of direct sunlight. I got back today and was pleasantly surprised to find about .25" of water remaining and all plants soil still wet. However I about freaked as I saw the lawn tags indicating our lawn service stopped by and fertilized. Just my luck. In the tub I found about a tablespoon of fertilizer. The plants look fine as the service guy came by the same day we left and I figure some noticable damage would occur by now. So I took all plants out and top watered all but the VFTs and Droseras as I don't want to  disturb the media. I placed all plants back to their original trays and watered as usual. I think they're OK but do I need to worry about any progressive damage that fertilizer can produce? Should I repot? I estimate before evaporation there was roughly a tablespoon of fertilizer to about 2 gallons of water. My dumb fault for not letting the dude know to not let any fertilizer get on the funky looking plants in the backyard.
smile_h_32.gif

From what I heard fertilizer is a fast killer with CPs. If they are not dead now you should be fine. If I were you though I would flush your pots out a few times with water, just incase there is some fertilizer in the soil. But anyways I think whatever damage was done has been done now.

Personally, I'd repot quickly w/ new media and hope for the best...

I think they'll be OK. I flushed out the pots and after almost 3 days (6 days since they fertilized the area) everything's normal. All plants are shooting up new growth and the S. Purpurea has really started popping up new pitchers quite quickly. I think I avoided catastrophe but I still need to call the service to let them know to stay away from them or at least let me know when they're going to fertilize the lawn.

Back