What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vft huge catch!

Hi, I'm a newbie at growing VFTS, and recently ( 3 -4 months) ago bought a VFT from home depot.  I have been lurking on these boards for sometime now, and this information has helped immensly!  Thank you.  

Now here's the question...  
My VFT in one of it's largest traps has caught a large flying insect that has ripped through the lining of the trap with it's claws in it's mouth.  It slowy and I'm sure painfully died inside the trap, but the hole still remains.  Should I cut the trap?  Thanks

Hi Keith and welcome to the forums. As a general rule of thumb, anything green is good. Anything black is bad. I would wait until that trap turns black before cutting it off. No biggie.

Well the thread waisted wasp (!) broke it's way out, and the trap is torn to shreads. So i'll wait till it's turn's brown, but it was fun while it lasted.

Welcome to the forums!

Sorry to hear about the escaping wasp. I'm sure your plant will be victorious next time ;)

Get a sarracenia and avenge the trap!
smile_n_32.gif

"Get a sarracenia and avenge the trap"

LOL, this is not the first time this has happened, though this the first time is ripped out of the trap. I digress. For some reason we have a lot of wasps around here. Especially killer Cicadia Wasps, they pack a punch, but we have literally no cicadia's around here!

Back