What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Injured vft- twisted new growth

Fang%2009Aug05.JPG

This VFT was attacked by a bird about two weeks ago.  It was pulled up about an inch.  I replanted it but it stopped growning.  Was outside in full sun so I brought it inside and put a dome on it to increase humity and had it under my grow lights.  Now has new growth but I wonder why its so twisted??

you know, one of my vft stems is a bit like that to, it looks like a corkscrew, but i dont know why

Perhaps it's just the shock from the bird attacking it. I say give it some more time and see if it clears up.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]This VFT was attacked by a bird about two weeks ago. It was pulled up about an inch. I replanted it but it stopped growning. Was outside in full sun so I brought it inside and put a dome on it to increase humity and had it under my grow lights. Now has new growth but I wonder why its so twisted??

Your plant will understandably be stressed at being attacked. It's growing again though - great - and the new growth looks nothing unusual to me.

But, why put it under growlights instead of in the sun? You won't get better growing conditions than under the sun. Also, domes just encourage fungus. VFTs don't need extreme humidity.

Finally, your plant looks a bit sodden. Make sure it's not sitting in loads of water, a cm or two is fine.

Off with the dome (which I used to increase humidity to help it recover) and back out to the yard and full sun.

Will see how it goes and post a pic in a couple weeks.
Thanks

[b said:
Quote[/b] (cplantlover2 @ Aug. 11 2005,12:05)]you know, one of my vft stems is a bit like that to, it looks like a corkscrew, but i dont know why
Sounds like you could have an aphid problem with yours. They are not always visible, they get right into the growing point and damage the new leaves as they form. The result is twisted and deformed new growth.

I agree with Indymental. It is quite possible that you have aphids and putting the pot in another container that is larger and taller, overfilled with distilled water, for a couple days, won't hurt the plant but will kill the aphids. If you have a magnifying glass, you will see dead, floating aphids if this was the problem.

uh-oh I have this too.It dosnt happen to all of the new growth and they eventually unsrew themselves though and turn up normal.Could it still be aphids?

If the traps finish up looking normal and perfectly healthy then it is unlikely you have aphids. If they just unscrew but the petioles still have a frilly look and/or the traps are a bit mis-shapen then you probably have got an aphid problem.

Well they always end up normal,could they be doing this because of shock? I recently repotted it so Im thinking that could be why.

the only way to know for sure is to see if the traps stop growing twisted in a couple of weeks. It shouldn't take a plant too long to settle once it has been repotted. Any chance you can post a photo of the way they look as they are growing?

No I dont have a camera
smile_h_32.gif
I only repotted it about a week ago I believe it takes around 2-3 weeks or so to get growth back to normal.Ill just monitor it and see if any deformed leaves come up.Or get my hands on a digital camera.

Back