What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vft 'red pirahna"

I've tried to grow VFT 'Red Pirahna' twice...lost both plants to rot. Is there some special requirement for this variety? I grow many other varieties, as well as 'typical', and they are all doing great.

Thanks, PM

Although I have not yet seen any differences with my plants, another grower I spoke with last year felt that this strain was 'weak'.

You can also try some of the more obvious suggestions:
- grow it drier (don't let it sit in water)
- add some shreaded live LFS to mix

Good luck.

Mine's been doing fine for the last two years. However, whilst it throws up plenty of traps, the plant has hardly got any bigger. One you need to be patient with I think.

I've grown this plant for a couple of seasons now, and have noticed what Alvin said. Mine grows pretty well but has stayed relatively small (about 1/2" traps) and has not increased much in size ever since I got it.
They are a little more prone to rot and diseases so I only top water them and let them grow a little on the dry side.
The trick is to get a bigger sized plant as small ones are hard to acclimate and often die if conditions aren't very good. They'll make offshoots very readily and maybe that is why they don't increase much in size.

Back