What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clay pots

I made a clay pot in a artshop and im not sure if i could use it for my vfts. It is like a light brownish color and it was like play-doh then hardened to a clay pot. Is this kind safe for plants?
confused.gif

Was it glazed? If it was glazed then it's fine to use, if not then you shouldn't use it. Clay pots release salts into the soil which over time will damage a CP.

I'm not sure about what metallic salts would be present, but I believe that clay has iron in it. Plastic pots seem to be the best containers for CP's.

Before the pot goes in the kiln you paint it with coloured metal oxide. When it cooks, the metal oxide turns colour and coats the clay with a smooth layer that feels like porcelain.

It sounds like you haven't glazed it though, so don't put your plant in it!

Yeah if it's shiny, it's glazed, if it's not shiny, it's not glazed. If it's not shiny, don't use it on your CPs. Other plants wouldn't mind it though.

You could put most any 'other than Carnivorous' plant in your clay pot; if you like plants in General. What about a little cactus?

Back