What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Experiment

I am trying an experiment with vft soil. I am going to grow my spare vft in a regular traditional 50/50 peat perlite soil. Then one week later im gonna add about 10-15% regular house plant soil. Another week later 20-25% more house plant soil. Then the one week later im gonna add 40% house plant soil. Finally last week ( if it survives) im gonna do a 50/50 miracle grow soil and perlite and see what happens. Ill update with photos. >;-D

It will most likely die, not from the nutrients in the soil but from disturbing the roots too often. If I were you, I wouldn't waste my spare VFT.

Maybe, but what if I was more patient and repotted it every 6 months insted of every week. Also the plant was a half dead bonus plant from home depot.

YOU WILL KILL YOUR PLANT.

It's also cruel and you may well be shunned by all us VFT loving folks.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Send him five bucks or the plant gets it (fertilizer that is)

Hey, but I can appreciate the concept of an experiment. My plants hold another opinion, of course. Then again, not all of mine have been failures.
biggrin.gif

Regular houseplant soil is usually composed of peat/perlite. It should do no harm unless it has fertilizer added to it (such as the miracle grow products).

Brian

All houseplant soil has some sort of nutrients in it. That is why it is called houseplant soil... used for plants that need additional nutrients to survive.
Most also contain organic ingredients not just pure peat and perlite.  If you find one with just pure peat and perlite let me know!
smile_m_32.gif

Back