What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vft's as of august

It's August and the heat is as stong as ever. I recently moved my VFTs into full exposure during a thunderstorm week so the plants could catch some rain. After some thinking I decided to let the plants grow 100% outdoors on my balcony railing. The plants catches full sun from the earliest morning rays to the last sunset rays of the day as the sun sinks below the horizon. I've had some pretty hot days in the 90's and humidity in the high 20's but these VFTs didn't seem to mind at all. Right now we are getting a very rare summer phenomenon as the marine layer blows deep into the 1000 feet Temeculan Valley bringing a cool humidifing overcast layer that burns off by noon. Its a really cool effect to watch. Anyway the I seized the good opertunities to take some pictures of VFTs that don't fear the sun.

"Fang" sent to me from Brad is doing great. Notice how the cilia is very straight and long despite our hot dry weather. Remember, these plants are probably grown under the more sun than any other VFT. Sorry I'm not trying to brag.
DSC02167.jpg

"Fang"
DSC02170.jpg

"Big Mouth" This VFT seems to handle full exposure the best. In fact this was the first plant I grew on the railing; I was forced to grow it that way since my greenhouse was packed to the brim. This plant definately got a lot redder. The trap longevity also seemed to have lengthened, probably because of more air circulation and no heat build up like you would get in a greenhouse. Thus I was able to get this picturesque effect of a large rosette of many red traps.
DSC02176.jpg

"Blood Red Traps" Very deep red. Even the margins turned red since the move. I repotted this guy during the start of the deep marine layer phenomenon. It seems to be growing fall rosettes.
DSC02179.jpg

Oops missed this one a "Fang Trap"
DSC02181.jpg

/img]

More pics on the other topic

Pictures appear broken to me...

Try right clicking and then click view picture. it works that way for me.
smile.gif

Nope, the pictures are broken. Check to make sure the link is correct.

-(Kyle)-

The pics are uploaded to CPUK which does not allow hot linking. I don't know why I can see them when I right click, but I can and the pics are lovely. It could be because I am logged into CPUK as well as TF at the moment. Try cutting and pasting the url into your browser and look at them that way.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (indymental @ Aug. 24 2005,3:54)]I don't know why I can see them when I right click, but I can and the pics are lovely.
Indy, you are, of course, correct about the CPUK upload site. Probably the reason that you can see the images is because they are now in your browser cache.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Nope, the pictures are broken. Check to make sure the link is correct.
The link URL is correct, but since CPUK does not allow hot linking, you must copy and paste the image URL into a browser address window to see it.

Back