What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

House lights disruptive of natural cycle?

Hi Folks,

Having been recently been bitten by the bug, I have been devouring the wealth of information here on these boards. Thanks for providing such a valuable resource.

In the last couple weeks I have acquired a D. capensis and adelae, a Nepenthes hybrid of some sort and a vft. All are in my kitchen by a SE facing window in Los Angeles and are doing very well so far, thank you, with new growth all around.

Anyway, since they're in the kitchen and I keep my food in there and I like to eat after the sun is down, I turn the light on in there. Sometimes I just like to look at them, I must admit. It's not blindingly bright; just two 100W bulbs in the ceiling, on a dimmer yet, but each time I wonder if I am disturbing their night's rest. I reckon the plants are 6' or so from the ceiling fixture.

So do you think I should be concerned about the ceiling light, or what?

TIA,

-N

I wouldn't worry about it. With some plants some people keep their lights on 24/7... at least with seedlings.

Tungsten light is very red and worthless to plants. Likewise, trees don't suffer if they are right next to streetlights. Unless you'r house is full of strong white daylight bulbs, I wouldn't worry.

Back