What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big mouth

I just got a big mouth from cooks and its only like 3 inches. (This is the whole plant) Is this normal? Its the 2-3 year old kind. I planted it in peat/perlite 60/40 and it gets 5 hours full sun and 4 hours shady sun. Is this ok? I also want to know how to get the traps reddest and biggest as possible.

Hey CF... I got the same plants from the same source. I just posted some progress pics of the plant and how it's doing in this category. It's perfectly normal for the plant to be that size. For larger traps... patience and outdoor growing works for me. I hope the folks here that have a sure-fire method for monster traps chime in but I just leave my guys be, follow the basic guidelines, and hope for the best. So far it's worked.  
smile.gif

I got a big mouth from cooks a while back, and it was pretty small. 1/4 inch traps. Most plants from cooks are small when you get them. My big mouth has doubled in size in the last few months though. Next year it should be even bigger
smile_m_32.gif

I saw your progress photos and how long did it take to get 1 inch trqps for your big mouth after purchasing?
Also, Im gonna post some photos soon so please give me your thoughts of how good the vft's came.

Your plant should take off next year, once it has had its dormancy.

It sounds like it's in a good growing spot. For the best plant possible, you'd need full sun from dawn to dusk, but that's not usually practical.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CaRnIvORoUs_FrEaK @ Aug. 27 2005,10:35)]I saw your progress photos and how long did it take to get 1 inch trqps for your big mouth after purchasing?
New growth with open traps took about 2 months.

Yep... they look really good but some of the existing traps may die off in the next few weeks due to shipping stress. As long as you maintain proper care they'll grow back just fine... keep an eye out for new growth from the center of the plants. Once you see that there's no need to worry.

Back