What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help! help! help!

Yesterday my VFT was bright green and doing perfectly fine. This morning I woke up and went to go look at my VFT and i saw that all my leaves drooped to the dirt and have a slight brownish tint to them whats happening???

With all the wealth of information you gave us, we should have an answer in a week or two. Conditions please. Watering with what? Lighting? What???

Sorry, well i am growing it inside of a terrarium with the correct lighting, i have been watering it with distilled water. The humidity stays hight inside of the terrarium.

Assuming you have had the plant a while and it is established and was growing fine prior to this. Rapid wilt usually means two things. Either the plant dried out and ran out of moisture. OR something happened to the root system so that the plant was suddenly incapable of absorbing water. Most likely the later.. which means root rot probably.

I would take it out of the pot and gently remove the potting mix and see if there is anything left of the plant.
Tony

I'd put it on a windowsill in some fresh air and see if it will recover. Stagnant air in a terrarium can be detrimental to plant health.

I would not recommend for a beginner to try and raise a VFT in a Terrarium. Condensation issues, heat, moisture, to many variables that can change in literally minutes that can impact the health of your plant. I would repot in a medium size plastic pot with drain holes, 1/3 perilite, 2/3 peat moss. Thats what I did, and my previously dying VFT is doing much better. Also, put it outside in partial sun, gradually introducing it a little at a time. Use distilled water only! And allow the moss to dry out somewhat, just don't water it constantly because that can cause root rot as well. Its good to allow it to dry out a bit as it encourages the roots go grow deeper in search of moisture and in the long term, this is beneficial to the hardiness plant, and never ever use any kind of fertilizer.

R.I.P
Venus Flytrap
2004-2005
smile_h_32.gif

Thats right i tried to see if there was any root rot but when i removed it from the moist dirt it completely fell apart:(

I would bet it was rot. You should provide excellent air circulation if you plan to grow CPs in a high-humidity terrarium.

I'd refer to the Greenhouse/terrarium forum for more information on how to properly setup a terrarium before acquiring more plants.

Don't worry, all the best people kill their first flytrap or three
smile.gif

Even our revered Moderators? Say it aint so!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Jim, I left perfection up to God. It be so. We have killed plants, skinned them , stuff'ed them, and mounted them. Was glad they didn't need the glass eyes.

I remember this spring, my son had two nice VFT's.  I thought I would do him a favour and cover them with the clear plastic dome the containers had.  They would then have more humidity and be happier.    

They were fried to a crisp...he claimed for damages and we came to a cash agreement- no lawyer was involved.   >;-D

Hey i am raising a nep too right now and its doin much better than the flytrap was.:)

Different plant, Hellz. Reacts differently than a VFT. Terrariums are OK, but outdoor growing kicks butt.

nepenthes advive, find a sunny window buy a manny herera(i realy recomend!) put it in a foot across pot and in a year it will get Huge and you will have a 5 foot tall house plant. nepenthes ar pricy so i dont have many, i realy only want rokko.

I have killed many venus fly traps, i still do today and the only way i can grow them is in a bog garden. then they spread like weeds

Back