What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New vft order

I ordered quite a few VFTs before the end of the growing season from a spot overseas. They shipped on Monday and USPS tried to deliver today but without a signature they couldn't leave it at my door... of course they tried the one hour I wasn't home.
mad.gif
Will one more day unpotted and in a box ruin these guys or has anyone had trouble with long shipping lengths killing their plants? Any advice for potting plants that have had a long time in transit?

I would'nt think a day would make a big difference.  Just pot them up and let them sit in a shaded spot for a while so they can recuperate.  Putting them out into direct sun immediately would be a mistake.    Give them a week to recoup then slowly acclimatize them to direct sun.

Please say you imported those plants overseas legally...
smile_h_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ Aug. 28 2005,7:04)]Please say you imported those plants overseas legally...  
smile_h_32.gif
Most certainly... I was even issued CITES and phytosanitary certificates. No worries.  
smile.gif

I fisrt opted to not receive the proper docs but it would break my heart (and wallet) to have these on some customs guy's desk rotting away awaiting proper paperwork.

How long were they in transit. I have had a recient experience of 27 days. They did not fair so well.
Stephen

I paid for EMS shipping and avoided any problems with customs with the proper documentation. Overall it took 6 days for delivery. I guess I lucked out.

What is EMS? I had all the proper docs. to and they sat in customs for 10 days. I contacted all who were involved and all I got was you cant trust the mail system and mabe a courrier would work better. The seller has agreed to resend the plants again and I will pay shipping. I looked into a courrier and the cost was 70$ and up. Too much for me. does anyone know of a better way to ship. The plants are coming from Ugene Or. going to Alberta Can.
Stephen

Some stuff sent by me got lost in the mail for almost 21 days, and then the party wasn't home. The box sat in extremely hot weather for three or four days until his return. He was sure they were toast, and lo and behold, they are growing today with no ill effects. The plants are tougher than you give them credit for. Also, some people "acclimatize" their plants, and I wouldn't tell you not to, but in 43 years, I never have, and only lost a few butterworts. Butterworts for sure need acclimatizing. Trust the plant to grow, and make sure the rest is right. Water type, soil medium, Lotsa love.

Back