What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can i use this soil?

Hey,

I'm John from NC. I just got my venus flytrap a week or so ago, and recieving it half dead, I thought it was going die. However, after constant watering and some good window sunlight, it's seems to be doing ok (although occassionally some leaves do turn brown/black and I have to cut off). Anyway, lately I've had a deep interest in growing these things, they're just the coolest little plants ever. I wanted to order a pack of seeds, to grow awhole bunch of them in Solo (18 oz.) cups, however I wasn't sure what soil to use.

Here is part of the description on the soil that I use: "This is a mix of peat moss (60-65%) and medium grade perlite (35-40%)." I think this is perfect for VFTs, but I just wanted to make sure. The bag says "Perfect for African Violets", so I'm not sure if it can be used as the grow guide pinned at the top of this forum says stay away from African Violet soil, but all this soil is, is peat moss and perlite, so I think I'll be ok, right?

Anyway, sorry for annoying you with my newbie questions.

Thanks,

John

John, I will try to get over my annoyance! I have grown VFT's for many years in straight Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss. You can mix them with other things if you want, but I have never seen perlite in the areas where they lived. A little sand , yes, but never perlite. Straight peat is best as that is what they grow in in Nature, sometimes with a little sand. In fact the sand to peat ratio was 1 sand to about 4 or 5 parts peat. They can take heavier sand than some CP, but I will always stick with straight peat.

Hmm, well I thought perlite was something required as petflytrap.com's VFTs have a 50/50 peat moss/perlite mixture...

Webbist, since perlite is man made, the chances that a VFT would be caught growing in it are really slim. I prefer to stick with what Nature has them growing in. You can add sand if you wish , or (echh) perlite, but perlite can be a problem as it is ultralite and will float to the top of a pot that is watered from above. Perlite is not natural to Nature. Man has his idea on how to grow these plants, but Nature is smarter than we are, so stick to Nature. If you ever get a chance to see VFT's growing wild, look hard for perlite. I am real sure you will never see it.

Of course nature is smarter at growing it, that's why it's an endangered species ;)

Anyway, thanks for all the info and everyone who helped me via PM as well...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (webbist @ Sep. 03 2005,9:27)]Of course nature is smarter at growing it, that's why it's an endangered species ;)
Its an endangered species because man is better at killing than he is at growing.

Back to your original post, I would avoid the solo cups. They become brittle over time, especially in direct sun (which VFTs want).

As for the soil issue, I would agree with Bugweed. Aside from the man-made factor, perlite is just plain ugly. Stick with sand and sphagnum peat and you should have very happy healthy VFTs to enjoy for many years to come.

Good luck
Steve

Hi Webbist and welcome to the forums! You will find that there is variation in how CP's are cultivated, and that includes soil, water, and lighting. Don't worry about it As you receive replies, try to look at what is common and don't get bogged down with the differences. The above two growers are highly experienced, so you've been given sound advice. Another good soil medium that CP's do will with is called Long Fibred Sphagnum moss (LFS) and can be found in bags of dried material, at Home Depot and Lowes. Feel free to continue to ask questions.

Back