What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie to the vft world advice please

hi im a noob this is my first post ive had my vft for a month or two now. but i have a few questions i require answering if you dont mind?

1 - ive read that the average vft has 7-8 traps, but mine has about 20 so id imagin there are 3 or more plants in the pot do i need to separate them as they have filled the pot.

2 - where do the seeds come from in them?

3 - when you cut back the vft do you cut the bottom of the branch/stem or just the head off?

4 - and is natural rain water better than distilled water?

thanks for your time guys i have msn if you wanna chat vft with a enthusiastic noob!!!!

ciao Ricky B

Hello and welcome to the forums. To answer your questions:

1. There may be more than one plants in there, you can tell if you can identify growth points. Try to find a main point where all the leaves or petioles originate from and that is a growth point.

It kind of depends on if it seems crowded you could seperate and repot, but that can sometimes be hard on the plant. On a strong healthy plant it should be fine.

It also depends on the size of your plant(s) and the size of the pot. I personally like a 4 inch pot with 1 to 3 plants in it. I have 4 pots with 1 plant in them, and two pots with 3 plants each in there. I like the way they really fill up the pot.

2. The seeds come when you let the plant flower. This does have an exhausting effect on the plant, but on a healthy plant it will be ok. Seeds take close to 5 years to mature.

3. When the leaves turn black, you can trim them off close to the growth point.

4. Either one works fine, rain or distilled. I use rain when I can, but now that I am in an apartment building it is harder to catch, and when I do catch it, I get lots of funny looks from neighbors standing out in the rain with a 5 gallon bucket. So I just save the trouble and buy distilled.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Best of luck.

Thanks Buddy

i have re potted this evening and there is only one plnt but it seems to be growing like crazy must be a good thing.

You can also use Reverse Osmosis water. It's cheaper than Distilled and works great. It's what you get most of the time from water vending machines in grocery stores.

-Rail

Also, you may have a VFT form called the "clumping cultivar". They look like many plants when there is just one. Do not believe everything you read. I have a VFT that always has as many as 16 leaves on the plant, while others only have 5 or 6. Plants do what they want, and will grow in many different ways. Most folks write things from their personal growing experience, but it does not apply to all.

Back