What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is he going to die?

Ok, I've had my VFT for like 2 weeks now. It was looking very sickly after it's shipping, and has improved. I cut off all the dead traps and leaves, but over time new dead leaves and traps have appeared. Today I had to cut off two more, and I think all this cutting is just going to stunt it's growth. The traps leaves are just turning black slowly, and it looks like some other traps are starting to get small brown spots on them too. The soil and pot are the same that it was shipped in, so I don't think that's the problem. It's being watered with distilled water on a daily basis, so underwatering is not a problem. I'm thinking it might be lack of sun, because it sits in my window, but i don't know if it's getting enough sunlight sitting there. I don't want to move it outside because I know it's just going to get all dried out within hours of being under the 95 degree sun. Any ideas what I can do to improve it's health?

Put the plant in a bowl container like a Cool Whip container, fill with distilled water, add a couple drops of thrive, and STICK THAT DANG THING IN THE SUN!!! Sunlight is detrimental to the plants growth and health. 95 degrees ain't nuthin'! Keep water in the bowl, and even temps like our 105+ degrees will not bother the plant. The bowl full of water will keep it watered and the humidity high around the plant. Plus, open air is what the Doctor ordered for this plant, so get to it before it is gone. BTW, VFT's are from North Carolina (just like you, John), and believe me, Wilmington is humid, AND hot as well. The temps are good, so do the plant a favor and give it what it needs. Lotsa sun, and humidity. And hurry!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Sep. 05 2005,1:34)]Sunlight is detrimental to the plants growth and health.
Errrmmm it is?

Hehe He means that sunlight is what the plants really want. Get it outside asap just as he said and your plant should be fine.

Good luck
Steve

Ok, so I put my pot in a bowl of water? Also, winter is coming in a few short months, what am I going to do about sunlight then? I'd perfer this plant as an indoor plant if possible, is there anything I can do? I was considering getting a fluorescent light, but I'm not sure how well that'll go over with my father, being he's paranoid I'm going to be growing something illegal.

Thats right. Put the pot in the container and get it outside. Leave it there for the winter too. Believe it or not, VFT's can even take a light snow. Heck, John, I will give you a fresh dozen plants if you just follow the directions I gave you, and if your plant dies.

Ok, I shall do so tomorrow. In the mean time, in case I decide to get a grow light and continue my plants inside, about how much light is required? I'm assuming it needs at least 12 hours?

Sounds about right for this time of year, and drop to 10 hours in late November. Outside is the very best way to grow, but they are your plants.

Bugweed, mad props man.. I can barley get the message posted before you reply
biggrin.gif
Thanks for all your help

That is what I am here for, John.

John.
you have no idea how amazingly lucky you are!
when it comes to growing VFT's and Sarracenia, you are blessed to live in the world's most perfect environment!

please dont even CONSIDER growing your plants indoors over the winter!!  
smile_k_ani_32.gif

when you have the prime environment right in your own backyard, trying to keep them indoors would be a sin!  
smile_m_32.gif

those of us in the great white north would love to be able to keep our plants outdoors all winter..instead we have to devise eleborate schemes of putting them in the fridge:
http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....t=16597

or work hard to make serious over-mulched bogs for winter protection:
http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....=13895;

or even submersing them under water!
we MUST do these things, because we cant keep our plants outdoors in the winter..its far too cold.
we also cant keep our plants indoors on a windowsill or a terrarium all winter, because that is far too warm!
we have to devise a dormancy that mimics their natural winter environment..the winter environment of North Carolina..we must do this, or our plants will die.

We go crazy trying to keep our beloved plants alive every winter..its a major struggle!
VFT's REQUIRE a winter dormancy, a cool, but not freezing winter..keeping them in a warm indoor environment all winter is certain death..
they NEED a mild winter like that of....North Carolina!

You have no idea how much I would love to be able to simply keep my plants outside in their water trays 365 days a year.

Do you know what you have to do to keep VFTs happy and healty for decades?? all year long?
put them in a tray of water, keep the tray filled with distilled or rain water, stick them out where they will get as much direct sunlight as possible..
then simply leave them there..every day of the year for the rest of your life.

look at how many threads there are here about "how can I get my plant through winter dormancy?!"
you personally have to do..nothing!..to get your plant through winter dormancy..simply leave it where it is..outside.

*sigh*..please please please dont try to make your VFT an indoor plant!
that would a crime...
you have a blessed back yard, one that 99% of CP growers around the world would love to have...take advantage of it!

smile.gif

Scot

NC winters arn't as mild as you might think. Usually, winter brings snow and LOTS of ice, and is it ok to bring the VFT inside a bit then? Also, I don't see how I can keep it as moist as I do now outside (in a water tray) for I think all the water would freeze, as it definately will, it gets very cold. Do VFTs not require alot of water during the winter. I think due to the lack of heat, I'd be able to survive without a water day and just water it distilled water whenever.. Also, being on dormacy, I don't think it'd use much water then either.

Thanks,

John

Where exactly in NC are you??
I suppose if you are up in the mountains you will have colder winters than along the coast..
but even so, anywhere in NC has to be far milder than anywhere in NY..

Scot

i'm in smack in the middle of NC (near raleigh, the capital) and he's right, they're not as mild as you might think.
NC is not one of those states where it's all the same everywhere you go. Even a county away can mean the difference between very little snow in winters (I mean on average) and a lot. My uncle that lives in chapell hill gets a ton more snow every year than we do here.
LOL... remembering snow, last year like the whole city stopped dead on it's tracks because 1/2 an inch of snow fell on the road. there were kids who had to stay in school for the night! ROFLMAO.
that was really rare though... don't think that always happens with 1/2'' of snow.

ok, so NC gets some snow..
(half an inch!
smile_l_32.gif
 )
so do VFTs in the wild..they are from NC.

the point is that NC is still an IDEAL climate to keep VFTs outdoors year-round!
try an average of 100 inches of snow a year, and continuous months of below freezing temps..even weeks on end hovering around zero degrees F.
that isnt NC.

I still say keep them outdoors 24/7/365 in NC..cant beat it.

Scot

that isn't a desert either, but deserts aren't good for VFTs.
and the first year I came here we had a 24'' snow storm, then a couple of years ago a huge winter storm with freezing rain and snow and all that. Like I said, that's not typical. we get more than 1/2'' and the city isn't usually stopped by only 1/2''
yes, VFTs are from NC, but down SOUTH by the coast.
I haven't tried growing vfts all year round outside, but I don't think you can just say "you live in NC therefore you live in a perfect place for VFTs"

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Sep. 08 2005,4:33)]"you live in NC therefore you live in a perfect place for VFTs"
actually, IMO you probably can say that..
(unless you live very high in the mountains of western NC, then all bets are off! ;)
but central NC cant have a winter *that* different than coastal NC.
sure, it might be a *little* colder and get *slightly* more snow..but the differences are negligible compared to the difference between anywhere in NC and say..Maine.

im looking at the "big picture"..not teeny differences within one state..
in general, all of NC is very warm all winter, when compared to NY state or New England or Minnesota.

even up into Virginia and as far north as Washington DC it would probably be fine to leave them outside all winter..
maybe just bring them inside if there is an unusually severe cold snap.
I lived in Washington DC for a few years...winters there are downright tropical compared to Western NY!
NC must be even warmer than DC..

I highly doubt that central NC is *so* different from coastal NC that the "fridge method" is necessary..
maybe cover them with leaves if you are really concerned..
but still...I stand by my recomendation...outdoors all winter in central NC is FARRR better than trying to grow them indoors all winter.

anywhere where the majority of winter days are above freezing, between say 35 and 50F, which describes NC, has to be great for VFT winter dormancy outdoors..
its not too cold, not too warm..
im comparing the entire state of NC with the entire state of NY..we have daytime HIGHS of 10 degrees F for weeks at a time...
whats the average daytime winter high in NC? probably 50?..its night and day.

Scot

Back