What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Baby plant removal

how do i remove a baby bulb devision, the traps are only half an inch and it cam up a week ago, is it safe to remove or should i wait

Wait until it reaches a good size, which is probably next season. The bulb should fall apart very easily, it'll weaken the plant a little if the bulbs are snapped apart.

I agree; I separated a 'dente' three times (by force) and I ended up with three weak plants that will recover; but I sure set it back.

When i transplanted the VFTs i got i noticed one of them had a super tiny baby VFT growing up out right inbetween the others leafs close to the center of the plant, so i just transplanted the whole thing now its alot bigger but still very super tiny, how does one go about seperating them when there that stuck together or close to one another?? Im not gona seperate um, im gona let um grow they way they are..
smilie4.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (*Barracuda_45* @ Nov. 01 2005,7:47)]how does one go about seperating them when there that stuck together or close to one another??
During the transition from fall to winter dormancy then to spring awakening, each individual growth point will tend to form a "callus" between them which then develops into separate rhizomes ("bulbs") with roots. When ready in the Spring, these individual rhizomes will easily separate with no effort. Those that are not yet ready can be broken off or cut apart with a knife. These premature separations can be rooted similar to a leaf-pulling. The chance of success is better than a leaf pulling because more rhizome tissue is involved. Still, for maximum success, it is better to wait until each rhizome division has roots before separating them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BobZ @ Nov. 02 2005,2:43)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (*Barracuda_45* @ Nov. 01 2005,7:47)]how does one go about seperating them when there that stuck together or close to one another??
During the transition from fall to winter dormancy then to spring awakening, each individual growth point will tend to form a "callus" between them which then develops into separate rhizomes ("bulbs") with roots. When ready in the Spring, these individual rhizomes will easily separate with no effort. Those that are not yet ready can be broken off or cut apart with a knife. These premature separations can be rooted similar to a leaf-pulling. The chance of success is better than a leaf pulling because more rhizome tissue is involved. Still, for maximum success, it is better to wait until each rhizome division has roots before separating them.
smile.gif
Thank you very much BobZ, greatly apreciated.. I shall leave it along till its alot bigger then seperate um, is it ok if i just leave them together in the same pot and just let um grow that way??

[b said:
Quote[/b] (*Barracuda_45* @ Nov. 02 2005,12:16)]is it ok if i just leave them together in the same pot and just let um grow that way??
Sure. You can leave them together. They will eventually form a clump of crowded plants. I have plants growing outside that I have not disturbed or separated for over 5 years and they do just fine. If you are growing the plants in a pot, I would repot the plants in fresh soil every spring or two. This reduces the build-up of minerals and decomposing peat. You can also separate plants at this time to give them a bit more growing space.

smile.gif
Thank you very much once again BobZ, i greatly apreciate all the info and help...
smile_m_32.gif
Im gona leave the 2 together and i will make sure to redo the soil once a yr. If they seem to get to crowded i will make sure they get a bigger pot.

One thing neat about many (not all) CP's is that they don't have long, developed root systems and that seems to safeguard against competing for what normal plants go for in soil - mainly nutrients. Since CP's mostly want nutrient poor soil and moisture, they're pretty cool about sharing space with one another.

Back