What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How hardy are amorphophallus

does anyone know if it would be posible to grow amorphophallus up in the midwest. i am in south dakota. i would like to plant some outside and possibly dig up every winter. would they live in south dakotas wide range of environments? it can be very dry and hot or cool and raining here. if they can live would it be best to pot them and put the pot in the ground and pull the pot up in the winter instead of damaging the roots? or jsut set the pots outside?

thanks

Brad

I don't think any species are hardy in South Dakota. I live in the southeast in zone 7B. Here, a few species are hardy. In your climate, it would be better to grow them outside for the summer and then store the dormant tubers inside.

I'm sure you can grow many Amorphophallus where you are, in pots though. Since they go dormant in the winter, hardiness really isn't an issue. Just dig them up and store them in a cool garage or wherever. Do start with A. konjac, it's the easiest one to grow.

I thought S. venosum or (T. venosum) was easier larry? maybe its just because I have small A. konjacs and they take longer to flower?

i do have amorphs already, but i was wondering about getting more and growing them outside in the summer...i should have been more clear..

i guess it sounds like i could grow them outside during the summer..

thanks guys

Brad
smile.gif

lol well maybe this a stupid ? but do u think it would be ok to plant numberous a. konjac into on big "pot"? and just space them out?

thanks

Brad

Yes, but once they get bigger, you will have to pot them up individually so one won't take over the others. You should also try an amorphophallus-like plant called Dracungulus vulgaris. They are a bit more hardy but will still need to be brought inside during dormancy in S. Dakota. Beleive it or not, I got my flowering sized plant for $7 from a Breck's bulbs catalog. My plant is 3'+ tall and it is about to flower. The inflorescence comes up after the rest of the plant begins to die back. This will be my largest flower yet, 1 1/2' tall and 1' wide. The flower is glossy purple like A.konjak and it smells REALLY NASTY. It is pollinated by flies.

Nep G, yeah, Typhonium venosum is by far the easiest Amorphophallus-like plant to grow. But he was asking for Amorphophophallus, so konjac would be the easiest. Dracunculus have been difficult for me, first 2 times I tried, they failed. I'm slowly learning though. Start with T. venosum first, it's an awesome plant!

Back